Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's your wrenching experience?

Type of Wrenching: Professional,Shadetree....and "it wasn't anything i did"

What:if its used in coal or gold mining i've probably worked on it plus tug boats, dredges and other assorted floating POS....plus bikes (suzuki kawasaki yamaha ducati)and my subaru ute plus any other vehicle i've owned or get shanghaied into sorting out

How long doing it: started fixing bikes at 13 first unassisted full engine rebuild at 14,started apprenticeship at 16 so professional for 13 years now

Other skills:i'm a Fitter/Welder by trade so welding,machining,hydraulics/pnuematic's plus a heap of other stuff like that.

was a professional meat hunter (deer) for a couple of years until the market price dropped(best work EVER!!!)

i've run outa breath to blow my own bugle....merry christmas to every one

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Type: Is there such a thing as semiprofesional shadetree?

On what: Mostly old fords, custom suzuki offroaders, and metros. And whatever my friends break!

How long? Started building bicycles in 1986 at a young age and went from there as a matter of necessity and then eventually started building to suit personal needs.

Other skills: Welding and fabrication, gunsmithing, woodworking, art, anything requiring good hand to eye coordination and concentration.

Type: shadetree

On: mostly an 82 subaru wagon and 84 vw convertible. Less than 15 years, or about 20 jobs.

Other skills: custom (touring) bicycle builder, painter

I did not grow up taking things apart and putting them back together. I was more of a build-and-smasher. My first real repair attempt was a 100 cd changer. I turned it into a 70% chance 35-50 cd changer. I get a good feeling when the car gets fixed, but I mostly do car repairs as a necessity, methodically slogging through some repairs and just surviving others. I like to take care of my own stuff when I'm able, and try to live simply and cheaply. That way I can make a living!

I think the ea-81 Subaru wagon is the most practical motor vehicle ever made, and I've liked them since I was a little kid.

Edited by jonlittleford

Type of Wrenching: Shadetree, little bit for cash, not much

What: 77' Civic, 93' Daihatsu, 87' RX, 84' Brumby/Brat, 81 EA81 wagon, 89' DL, 89' DOHC 2.0 Legacy, 89' 2.2 Legacy, 1996 EJ20 Legacy, 1994 Corolla, 91' Mitsi Lancer...list goes on

How long doing it: Since I was about 14, rebuilt a Morris 1700 engine with help from my dad at 15. Loving it ever since.

Other Skills: As far as wrenching goes, not a huge amount, I do pride myself on my sweet audio install and wiring work :) other than that, I play guitar and drink beer. That's about it. :)

Type of Wrenching: "Shadetree" but I've never had a tree double as an engine hoist. :-P

What: Any of my cars, self-diagnose and fix. Got into vintage mopeds a while ago and like playing with those and they turned out to be a gateway into bigger bikes. :) These hands-on skills come in real handy for field service work on industrial filters too.

How long doing it: Ever since I was old enough to hand Dad a wrench :)

Other skills: Welding, electrical, computer tech...

• 2 weeks later...

Type of wrenchig: Shadetree, Awning, Garage, sidewalk or wherever i might seem to breakdown.

What: mostly classic chevys but have been forced to downsize, hence the Subaru in my veins.

How long: since I was old enough to grab a steering wheel. My dad and uncles were all mechanics though my dad left when i was small and i never saw my uncles I guess it was in my blood to figure things out. Plus growing up in small towns you either fix it yourself or walk.zzz. I built a dune buggy out of a honda shadow V-twin using an old 3wheeler rear end and a wrecked banshee front end. built a frame around it all. looks like mad max. four speed, never get it out of 3rd because it scares me.:Flame:

Other Skills: Welding, body Work, Paint work, and Chef.

Edited by flatfour73

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys it's great to join your group. I have been wrenching for about 45 years. Currently building trikes and have decided to move up to the superior Subie engine instead of the VW's. I also restore vintage Triumph MC's. Lately I have been eaten up with the trike building. There is just such a broad spectrum of options to use customizing ideas. I will need to depend on all of you guys and your experience with the Subaru engines to be successful changing over to the new engines. My current project is to the rolling chassis stage with the VW tranny installed. If I can find a good 1.8 EA82 carb engine I will order the adapter from Kennedy to sit the motor in it's new home. I hope you guys welcome a fan of the Subaru motor even though it will not be going back into a car body. Thanks:horse:

Type of Wrenching: Shadetree

What: From 60's hot rods to my wife's 97 Acura, my 2010 Forester, and my 90 Legacy L wagon. I love to work on cars or almost anything that needs fixing. I've saved loads of money over the years, but I do know when to call a pro.

How long: I have been wrenching for forty years. Built, loved, and raced hot rods years ago and now just love to do my own repairs and maintainance.

Type of Wrenching: Shadetree

What: What ever vehicle we have at the moment. Recently it has been a 2002 Jeep, the 81 Brat and now a 98 Outback.

How long doing it: Three years

Other skills: Brewing Mead, Leathercrafting, raising chickens and kids, cooking, European Martial Arts, computer/internet tech support.

Edited by MaddCelt
Thought of more things I'm good at.

Type: Driveway

What: Anything thats broken, or needs maintaned. Subarus, motorcycles, household appliances

How long: A l o n g time 40yrs

Other skills: The best line cook I've ever seen:Flame: not to bad at bodywork and painting, (don't like it so much)..........:horse: Good Day.G

I bought my first Subaru when I was 24. Turbo 1.8.....took a 2 wheel drive auto trans with a good 1.8 single port injection engine and change wiring harness, engine, switches and of course fly wheel.....now I have a 92 loyale w 121,000 it runs good but it runs 3000 rpm's at 60 mph, Is that normal? does it have another gear? It should. But anyway...I have been turning wrenches w papaw for many many moons and can work on anything. Love me some Subaru though got a 96 outback that I took 2.5 out of and put 2.2 in also. Love the 1.8 love the 2.2 HATE the 2.5.

Go Gators!

I started wrenching when I was around 14 when I bought my first 4wheeler. Started working on cars around 16 with my first car (84 Firebird). After that I got a job working on Harleys at a local dealership, after that I moved to a BMW/Triumph dealership. Got sent to school and became fully Triumph certified by Triumph of America, and became fully BMW certified by BMW of America. Only factory training by the companies themself, no college crap for me. After that I left and began working on Subaru's for a living about 2 years ago at Deer Lake Auto Sales. I also opened my own shop specializing in older muscle cars (mainly BOP and older Fords/Mercs) and race quads. Also certified PA Inspection mechanic.

I just noticed I did not follow the rules of this thread :(

Type of wrenching- Professional

What- Subaru's are my career, At my own shop BOP, Fords & Merc's (I specialize in FE motors), and race quads

How long- 10 years

Other skills- Certified Pennsylvania Inspection Mechanic (motorcycles,light trailers, cars, light trucks) , Factory certified BMW Technician, Factory certified Triumph Technician, Harley Davidson Technician, Welder (Mig and Arc)

Edited by 94Loyale
Changed to correct thread format

Type of Wrenching: Professional

What: General Domestic and Japanese car and light truck diagnosis and repair

How long doing it: 25+ years

Other skills: ASE Master Tech with L1 Advanced Engine Performance, ASE Refrigeration Cert (to purchase and handle R12) Electronic and computer maintenance, restoration, and repair. Classic car and Street Rod builds, repair, and restoration.

Edited by Crazyeights

Started wrenching about 8 or 10 years old, on my bike and pretty been do it for ever.

Cert Welder

Heavy Equipment degree.

ASE school master tech.

State cert. bus inspector.

Running 3 shop for a bus company for the past 22 years, 100 + rolling stock.

I have 92 loyal, 96 outback, 98 outback.

Pull heads on 3, 2.5 motors

Rebuild lots of diesels, and Allison trans.

:banana::banana::banana:

about 11yrs. started young and had to figure out how to put it back together. love big 4x4's but needed speed + handling and could finally afford a subaru. took the first 04 with a hybrid for a test "flight" didnt end well on to the new 06 tr.

Type of Wrenching: Professional, Shadetree engineer

How long doing it: Before Lego

Other skills: Handsaw,chisel,mallet Japanese/Scandinavian woodworking, brazing, electronics, drafting, a mean omlette, barista, photography, long walks on the beach

Geez, I been turning wrenches since I was wee. My pops is a general aviation mechanic of more than 50yrs, I grew up on tiny airports(Evergreen in east Vancouver, WA:(), so I got to pull inspection panels and crawl into tailcones.

Had coaster brakes dialed before I was ten. Car experience started with Corvairs and old Volvos. Drove a '67 VW Kombi for 15yrs. with various mods.

Then got into motorbikes, the most enduring interest so far. CB450's are my poison. But if it's aircooled and point ignition, all the better. Have been a professional bicycle mechanic since '91. Getting paid for motorbike wrenching for two years now.

Feel like I just did the most laid-back resume ever.

NE

Type of Wrenching: Bloody Knuckle Maintenance

How long doing it: 2.5 years with LOTS of help from my bff. Still learning a great deal. :)

Other skills: If its artsy grandma stuff - I do it. :P Sew, crochet, scrapbook... etc. I'm going to school for cosmetology. (I really don't belong here do I? lol) Self taught home repairs (dabbled in electrical, plumbing, and general handygirl stuff) I can swing a hammer and use a power drill. Learning graphic design. I've been known to build a mean campfire too. :banana:

Basic Jack-of-all, Master-of-none kinda stuff. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

^ you dont find many girls that can turn a wrench.. in the right direction. Even more rare to see one that knows what maintenance on a vehicle means. My ex was driving her car for 3 years before we met and when I drove her car I did an oil change... black oil and a car that went at least 40k miles without an oil change because its owner didnt know cars had oil to be changed... amazingly, no leaks.

Type of Wrenching: Maintenance and Modification

How long doing it: Years... Id say at least 13 years, my first wrench in hand that I remember was at 6 years old putting the drain plug back into the pan and tightening it as best I could on a 1985 Subaru DL. That car went over 450k before we sold it (running and driving), I saw 260k of those miles.

Other skills: I play Rugby. Driving games Im usually at least 2nd place but mostly 1st. Ill correct that, street racing games, Im okay at Gran Turismo and Forza but my main skills are Need For Speed etc.

Some professional, smog licenses...Shade tree for a few years, it paid the rent, and maintenance since 1963. Built a number of cars to go faster, quicker, better more since then. I'm in the middle of a scary learning curve now, building up my 72 super beetle. It's a 2176 with everything trick and ChoMo. There are pics and details at: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VwSuperBeetles/?yguid=163854191

Under photos: 72 super beetle project.

After the engine is the xmsn and suspension, then interior and tunes. Then paint.

I started doing work on my cars in my garage. Progressed into replacing engines, head gaskets. I'm tearing down an engine now for full rebuild.

Couple weeks ago I got a job as a mechanic. And I've learned a lot so far! I've been doing pretty much everything from oil changes, to auto tranny service, wheel bearings, timing belts, brakes. Whatever comes our way.

Nowhere near a pro, but I can do any work my car needs to keep it on the road.

Type of Wrenching: Shadetree, Maintenance, Semi-Pro (work at my brother's shop here and there on weekends for extra cash)

How long doing it: 20ish years? Started as a kid with my brothers'

Other skills: Everything IT guy for a living, framing, drywalling, electrical, plumbing, low voltage electrical, gardening, welding, and anything else I can get my hands on to learn! Or had to learn while re-doing my house :lol:

Type of Wrenching: Professional

What: General Domestic and Japanese car and light truck diagnosis and repair

How long doing it: 25+ years

Other skills: ASE Master Tech with L1 Advanced Engine Performance, ASE Refrigeration Cert (to purchase and handle R12) Electronic and computer maintenance, restoration, and repair. Classic car and Street Rod builds, repair, and restoration.

I want to come work with you. We do some hotrod stuff here at my shop but no restos or builds:-\