Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sesh's 1987 GL Build Thread

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have always used the blue permatex for coolant gaskets only a friend of mine used the black on his heads. have you ever used the high temp orange? ive used that in high head situations even exhaust works real well. do what you will but i wouldnt chance a leak there over an 8 dollar tube of rtv have fun

My thoughts exactly. I went out and grabbed a tube of Ultra Grey and a helacoil kit since someone stripped out the cam seal carrier bolts before I bought the vehicle. Here are some pictures of my process and where I'm currently at:

CIMG3241.JPG

CIMG3245.JPG

Before:

CIMG3246.JPG

After:

CIMG3249.JPG

CIMG3252.JPG

CIMG3253.JPG

Before:

CIMG3255.JPG

After:

CIMG3259.JPG

CIMG3260.JPG

CIMG3262.JPG

CIMG3264.JPG

Bleeding the lifters

CIMG3271.JPG

CIMG3273.JPG

CIMG3274.JPG

CIMG3275.JPG

CIMG3278.JPG

CIMG3280.JPG

CIMG3286.JPG

Aaaaaaand... time for a beer. :drunk:

(that's my girlfriend's impreza)

CIMG3288.JPG

Actually, it's so readers without any thoughtful comments get a seizure when they look at my pictures...

This is a useful but low budget rebuild I'm doing for fun. If I can't have a little fun painting it, then why even clean anything?

is it so you remember what is new or worked on or fixed or whatever?

Sure - The valve covers worked fine before, so did the water pipes, and the pulleys, so I guess you nailed it, in a sense.

Oh, and the term I used was engine enamel.

Edited by kanurys

I personaly thought the paint comment was hilarious.

I would of painted the valve covers yellow, then cam housing black then heads yellow and block black. and you would of had a bumble bee. or a hornet. then you could put decals that say HORNET and noone would get it. lol

or perhaps that's a stupid idea. either way. good job on the build, looks good

OK. After a trip to the Ace hardware, I got a few things and finished the PCV system. I also installed the flywheel and pilot bearing.

I picked up this little guy for $0.70, which has a brass insert near the bottom end that I could clamp to:

CIMG3299.JPG

And made a spot for him using a 1/4" bit in the carburetor filter mounting plate bolt hole with a little help from a zip tie on the carb mounting stud for support.

CIMG3300.JPG

CIMG3302.JPG

CIMG3304.JPG

I used the T from the original PCV setup to connect the drivers side breather, PCV valve and the smaller vent to the air cleaner. It worked GREAT. (The blocked off hole in the corner of the filter mount is my brilliant idea before realizing the filter sat right over it, as my neighbor pointed out.) Now I have the proper sized tubes running to the proper ports.

CIMG3306.JPG

Clean and designed just like the diagram in the FSM. This routing makes me proud.

CIMG3307.JPG

CIMG3309.JPG

Edited by kanurys

Time for an update:

I installed the one little piece of timing cover to protect the driver's side timing belt. Pics later.

The day was mostly spent on cleaning the engine bay and staring at the transmission. I think I might rebuild it another year. For now I have these questions:

-What is the Pressure Plate to Flywheel Bolt torque on a 23 spline setup? Neither my haynes manual or my partial FSM have this number.

-What is the proper torque for the bolts that hold the input shaft guide on?

These ones:

CIMG3318.JPG

Before:

CIMG3311.JPG

After:

CIMG3317.JPG

That's the only piece of timing cover I'm installing on the engine:

CIMG3314.JPG

Does anyone have a diagram of the cruise control system on a hitachi carb vehicle as well as the electrical diagram? I'd like to study it and figure out how to adapt it for my weber. Also, the torque values for a D/R input shaft holder bolts (as above pic) on the front of the transmission?

Thanks again, beateru for the numbers you had.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out a few things:

When Cold:

The thermo vacuum switch bleeds air from the air cleaner into the egr and timing advance nodes of vacuum, effectively reducing the vacuum in those respective lines, keeping egr closed and 0 advance on the ignition timing. At these nodes supplying vac to the egr and distributor, the respective vac lines from thermo vac switch are t-ed in. Another effect of the air bleeding in is it leans out the air/fuel mixture a little while the choke is closed.

When Hot:

No air can flow in or out of any of the ports on the thermo vac switch and the egr valve sees vac signal when it's supposed to and the disty advance sees vac when it's supposed to. No air is bleeds into the intake or bypasses the throttle plate.

How did I do?

I always thought it was the other way around, the switch just cut off the vac supply. Instead it nullifies it. Cool.

Here's the vac switch all hooked up:

CIMG3335.JPG

Above, you can see where the EGR is T-ed into the valve. Below, underneath everything you can see where the distributor advance is T-ed in to the valve.

CIMG3337.JPG

I got fresh air from the hose that goes from the pcv system to the air cleaner:

CIMG3336.JPG

Thanks for all the advice you guys threw my way.

Before:

CIMG3128.JPG

After:

CIMG3338.JPG

Edited by kanurys

I cleaned up the routing of everything in the engine bay after I painted the battery corner. Pics are just of the sanding and fresh paint. It's still kind of a jungle in there. I pulled the tank vent line, capped the fuel return line, and stripped the wiring harness down the the factory oil pressure sender wire and the electric choke wire. Tonight I might install a copper oil gauge sender tube:

CIMG3323.JPG

CIMG3322.JPG