Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sesh's 1987 GL Build Thread

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now to get the lift kit from our group buy we have in the classified section on and drill out the mitsubishi rims for 4 bolt. And a little tweaking of the Weber is in order.

The HLAs ticked mildly for about 5 minutes, then they all just stopped ticking. It's probably the quietest I'll ever hear an EA82 (at idle :) ).

Edited by kanurys

I've used many varieties of grease. I started using this synthetic stuff (0-500 f) in Oregon for wheel bearings since it was always so wet. It seems to hold up the best. When you open it up, again, the grease is usually still in good shape, where as a lot of molly grease degrades a bit more quickly.

I purchased my 4" lift from SJR. Waiting... Waiting...... Waiting........

In the mean time, the starter switch is now a pushbutton type. I'll post pictures to follow. It's neatly recessed to the left of the steering column. The way it sits it is very difficult to accidentally touch. Now we're flying "Millennium Falcon" style.

you saw my shinny bearing. I cleaned up the inner and outer bearing sleaves and kept them for who knows what. :confused:

Anyways, I have about 45 miles on the rebuilt engine and it seems real happy. I have a little coolant leak at the base of the carb (grrrrr) so I guess I'll attack that guy and it should be all buttoned up. Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll post more when it's lift time.

Edited by kanurys

• 1 month later...

Things I've done since my last post:

-Installed 4" SJR lift kit

-Re-wired the electric fan to come on via relay and possibly will install another

-deleted the pulley driven fan

-Got OEM gaskets and fixed the coolant leak at the carb

-Made my own PCV oil seperator with a few fittings and a spaghetti sauce jar. So far, I've caught about 3 oz of oil on it's way to my intake and a bunch of condensed water.

Pics to come...

Edited by kanurys

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Yo'J. It looks like I did it right. Just replaced an axle. It was not installed correctly by the PO. Here is a link to the thread http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117925

On another note, I installed the PCV catch jar. It works great. I get more condensation in it than oil, but it definitely keeps some oily gunk out of the intake. Forgive the tacky prego jar. I plan on making a nicer mount and getting longer hoses in the future.

CIMG3416.JPG

I have to take more pics with the lift, but here are a few teasers.

CIMG3414.JPG

CIMG3413.JPG

• 1 month later...

Latest update:

installed new radiator fan/thermo switch (thin and cheap)

switched carb jets to 130/140 mains, 180/200 air correctors.

Ordered GPS parts to replace dash clock.

Re sealed carb mount w/ OEM gaskets.

Runs like a dream, and rubs at full lock like a dream.

• 1 month later...
Thanks! I'm glad this could be a resource for others. I did all this on a really low budget but did just enough to have a clean car. I saw the pics of yours. We have twins! You should start a thread and link it here.

For sure! I started this thread (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117524) with build updates in mind... I will probably start a new, cleaned up one once I get her running dependably and really start the "fun" stuff! I'm still unsure if the heads are OK and have to get her up to being able to be driven around some so I can make a clear determination on my next steps.

• 1 month later...

The car has been running well since the last post. I replaced my radius rod bushings and went for a test drive. I added 1/4" of washers on the front side of the body mount. My alignment was perfect after the install and test drive. There is also a noticeable improvement in sudden impacts. There is less clunk and more of the force is transfered to the spings/shocks.

Here are some pictures and vids:

This compressed down to a tight little donut when complete.

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

I got them on rockauto.com. They come two in a box. It takes two (aka 1 box) per side. I also added washers on the forward side as in the pictures.

Importantly: these bushings, as well as other raybestos bushings I've ordered from them, are a Subaru branded product. They had the right Subaru number and logo, etc...

I also ordered raybestos steering rack bushing and there were Subaru parts in Subaru numbered bags in raybestos boxes.

Edited by kanurys