Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sesh's 1987 GL Build Thread

Great Build Thread!

...installed new radiator fan/thermo switch (thin and cheap) ...

Could I ask you more info about the Thermo Switch you Used?

Does anyone have a pdf of the COMPLETE FSM for an EA82? ...

Yes, I have the Download Links on my "Public Profile", just Click on my Avatar and You'll Find them.

Kind Regards.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will everyone PLEASE stop staring at me like I just read this thread from beginning to end over the past hour and a half? it's NOT FUNNY!......

By the way, this was a beautiful build to read through for the past hour and a half. Bravo. :clap:

Great Build Thread!

Could I ask you more info about the Thermo Switch you Used?

Yes, I have the Download Links on my "Public Profile", just Click on my Avatar and You'll Find them.

Kind Regards.

Thanks for the link to the service manual. I used a thermo switch available on rockauto. The stock setup was a two-spade switch. There is also a single-pin style which you have to ground the housing to get it to work. If you're rewiring the fan circuit I'd recommend the two spade type as it is easier to connect to.

Will everyone PLEASE stop staring at me like I just read this thread from beginning to end over the past hour and a half? it's NOT FUNNY!......

By the way, this was a beautiful build to read through for the past hour and a half. Bravo. :clap:

Thanks. I've been busy with school and not doing much car related work. I've added another radiator fan and a front skid plate since my last post update.

The heater fan seems to have a mind of its own and might need replacing. The relay, wiring, switch, etc.. are more or less working fine.

• 1 month later...

There is currently an EJ22 from a 1999 Impreza Outback Sport on an engine stand in my garage. Also a nicely cut down wiring harness :Flame:, computer and full exhaust. Any ideas for a computer box and where to put it? I was thinking amo can in the spare tire area...

Here's the NEW THREAD!!!!!!!!

Edited by kanurys

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

First of all, I welcome any advice or ideas anyone on this forum would like to contribute because it will not only contribute to my build but will help all others who are apart of this online community.

A vehicle from Arizona with about 140,000 miles, and all original when I bought it, this 1987 GL EA82 is carburated and has a dual range transmission.

The first thing I did was install aftermarket voltage, oil pressure and temperature gauges so I could keep an eye on things.

The second thing I did was tear out that Hitachi/miles of vac line and install a Weber. It fired up on the first crank.

I drove it for a few months like this but something ominous was happening. In the middle of winter, the temp dropped well below 0 degrees F, the coolant froze and the engine overheated on my way to work. Since then, it had ever increasing white smoke out the exhaust. To confirm this, it also ate coolant fairly quickly and there was white sludge in the oil fill tube and ventilation pipes from the valve covers.

I also noticed that cylinder #3 (passenger side rear, I think?) was only firing once in a while when the engine wasn't fully warmed up. I decided to rebuild the entire engine for the hell of it.

Here is a list of what I'm planning for this vehicle and what has been done:

Engine rebuild

-complete reseal

-sachs clutch kit

-Felpro Permatorque head gaskets

-rebuilt lifters by Mispah Precision Machining

-new OEM oil relief springs in pump and cam carriers

-valve stem seals

-blocked off egr ports on intake manifold

-block off egr port on top of passenger side head with 16mm x 1.25 oil drain plug

-blocked off air suck valve ports on heads

-yellow engine enamel on pulleys, ps bracket, ac/alternator bracket, valve covers, hard coolant pipes, oil pan, upper strut brace, thermostat housing

-engine/transmission mounts?

-reseal oil pump seal/gaskets

-new water pump

-OEM thermostat and oil filter

-plane the heads. (Victory Machine in Cortez took off about .006")

4" lift (SJR - not yet purchased)

5 29" AT tires on Mitsu***************i Montero steel rims (craigslist for $150!)

A pictorial guide to my shop time: http://picasaweb.google.com/kanurys/81110GLEngine?feat=directlink

-Sesh

Thanks so much finally understand the relief for the pcv valve.  you are an awesome mechanic dude.

Jeff in Costa Rica