Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XT v8?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 swampbrat

swampbrat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Page Az

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

You sold it , what were you thinking , we were just getting started! I was going to give you Alan's # in tampa. He pioneered the 4.3 Samurai swap back in 86. There is some cool tricks to make that motor smaller....

#52 Logan K

Logan K

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Edmonds

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

i know im a little late to the party since you sold the car, but what about a subaru boxer diesel? you could probably get one shipped from a british wrecking yard, and it would be VERY unique :)

#53 bigo1966

bigo1966

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Lafayette, Colorado

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

FWIW I'm the guy that has the V4 motorcycle engine "under the hood", more like sticking out of the hood in my subaru. Its still in my garage waiting for a roll bar and new front bumper.

#54 ghost

ghost

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Danville

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

If i was to ever do a crazy engine swap into something likema subaru, my first two ideas would be: 3800 Buick Supercharged engine from the Regal/Grand Prix/etc or a Suzuki Hayabusa engine. Both would be nuts, neither are hard to find really.

#55 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,978 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

Friend at work is very interested in the V8 swap. Im droping guido off next week to his shop so he can do some measurements.

#56 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,806 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

FWIW I'm the guy that has the V4 motorcycle engine "under the hood", more like sticking out of the hood in my subaru. Its still in my garage waiting for a roll bar and new front bumper.

Any Posted Pics? ... I'll Love to see That!

Kind Regards.

#57 brumby420

brumby420

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Athol Idaho

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Any Posted Pics? ... I'll Love to see That!

Kind Regards.

#58 raging squirrel

raging squirrel

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Hudson

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:13 PM

Time for a little reality check here: weights. I thought that this would be useful. The 4.3 chevy v-6 weighs in at 425 lbs. The ford 5.0 v-8 weighs in at 435lbs. The 350 chevy weighs 525-575lbs. The ford 3.8 v-6 weighs 300 lbs. and the 1961-63 buick 215 aluminum v-8 weighs in at 318 lbs. If you are willing to do the 4.3 chevy, you might as well have the 5.0 ford for only 10lbs. more. It is also narrower and shorter than the chevy v-8. The 3.8 ford is only 112 lbs. heavier than the EA81 subie motor and will bolt to any tranny that the small block ford v-8 uses. Handy if you want to swap in a 4x4 tranny and t-case combo. The buick 215 is the lightest of the v-8's and small enough that a good many of them have been swapped into MG "B" models, a very small car indeed. D&D fab specializes in these and has lots of adapters. 300 hp out of the 3.8 or the 215 is easily doable and 200 is child's play. If it were mine I would choose one of these two.:headbang:
Another interesting swap would be to add the ford 8.8 independent rearend setup. It will easily handle 300+ horsepower and would be like a subie rear on steroids.

#59 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,806 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

I've Just Posted Pics of a V8 Legacy and a V8 impreza, here:

http://www.ultimates...t=53434&page=93

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users