Ultimate Subaru Message Board

another helpful VW tool???

It may. I have to replace the rotors on my wagon, and i know im going to have a hard time with the drivers side.... since the CV was re-threaded, it now has a bolt that isnt 36mm on it. Just thought that if that were the case, this tool wouldnt work with all Subaru CV's. Best of luck, looks like a good idea... but when im removing CV's, usually a fresh new one is going back in so I dont really worry about banging it up :)

-Brian

I've always used a piece of 2x4 wood, endwise, and made sure I was square on with end of the shaft, before I started pounding on it with a sledge (or 3 lbs. cross pinion hammer... works good if you store all your tools in your car, 'cause you don't have anywhere else to store it. D**n brownstone apartments. D**n city living. I wanna get back to the country.) Used to do it with tractors all the time, and it's worked so far with my Subie.

well, it fits perfectly :)

I've use the wood too, but a couple of times, I've had problems with the wood splitting. (1st axle change after new bearings)

I've also used the axle nut method, but when you hit it, any pressue on the nut, is just transfered to the threads. (I've wrecked some threads this way too, trying to save an axle....

this VW tool I got, threads onto the nut, but sits flat against the end of the axle, so when you whack it, the force is transfered to the shaft. it's a KD Tools, KD-52. I've searches all over the net, and haven't found any of them anywhere....

So, this tool basically consists of an axle nut with a piece of steel on one side that rests on the end of the stub when it's tightened down?

I'm just trying to get the concept right, as I'm thinking about making tools for axle removal and installation sometime in the near future.