Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SJR 3 Door Coupe GL EA82 Build Thread

Scott in Bellingham

sold a car so Im ready to build up another

The culpret: I picked up a 86 GL 3DR white Coupe, its a Automatic with a Carbed EA82 1.8

the plan

junk the engine and tranny

add EJ 2.5 with dual cam heads , all stock wiring and ECU from a 98 Leg Weg

add 3.9 Dual Range

going with a big lift on this one maybe 6" maybe taller 7 or 8

30-31" tall Mud Terrains

Nissan 720 truck front Diff, axles and hubs will replace the rear diff and axles and Hubs , this will give me a stronger rearend and axles and the diff will bolt right in using the stock diff hanger and stock Soobie driveline , also with the rear diff weled I will be able to unlock the rear hubs using the Nissan 720 hubs which also are 6 bolt so I will drill the front hubs to match, this car will become my daily driver and have the EJ 2.5 power to pull a trailer and have some bigger rear discs to stop it,

will start the build first with building and installing the lift and pullin the engine and trans, will have Adam at Norhtwest Rally Sports in Bellingham WA wire up the monster engine , Huummmm should I get some Delta cams while Im at it? HhHHhhhhmmmmmmm may be a while before this all starts but Im just excited and wanted to share , been talkin to Adam for a while about the engine, Ive never had a 2.5 befor

Sounds like fun Scott! Is this the car that we picked up? If it is, glad to see it getting put to use :D

I need to get up there and help you out. You will have a PM coming here shortly...

This should be a good build. Haven't seen any subies built up for towing AND dd use....

You havent seen mine then plus I have 1/4 in quarterpanels of diamond plate steel

Sounds like fun Scott! Is this the car that we picked up? If it is, glad to see it getting put to use :D

I need to get up there and help you out. You will have a PM coming here shortly...

This should be a good build. Haven't seen any subies built up for towing AND dd use....

Nissan 720 truck front Diff, axles and hubs will replace the rear diff and axles and Hubs , this will give me a stronger rearend and axles and the diff will bolt right in using the stock diff hanger and stock Soobie driveline , also with the rear diff welded I will be able to unlock the rear hubs using the Nissan 720 hubs

This will be neat to see done. Could be just the ticket. :)

todays progress

with some great help from a couple o board members

old EA82 Carbed engine and burnt Auto trans out,

3.9 Dual Range installed

EJ 2.2 installed with Delta Torque Cams ( cams installed today, and found woodruff key keyway and pulley and timing gear shot, keyways damaged, got it welded up and ground and good parts installed alll today)

6" lift blocks mounted on engine crossmember, and radius/tranny crosssmember

4936992708_890da7e574_z.jpg

4936992690_3ca267fe49_z.jpg

4936992702_f11f1156ba_z.jpg

4936992694_97d88cda5e_z.jpg

4936992716_e2ea58c2c2_z.jpg

That wiring is very special, I tell you what :-\ Took me two hours of sorting through it to get it into that shape, and it still needs help :lol: The harness needs a good going through with an soldering iron and heat shrink, but it "should" run :lol: That is if it's done correctly. All I did was sort it out, and that's a big start. So I don't if the person who did it originally did it correctly, and I could only verify it so much, so if it doesn't run it will be interesting diagnosing it :-\ But not impossible.

He's hoping the reason it wasn't running before was because of the woodruff key being all messed up and then causing the key way to get all messed up as well. So now that that's all fixed it should run...

It was fun working on the car though, I learned alot!

That wiring is very special, I tell you what :-\ Took me two hours of sorting through it to get it into that shape, and it still needs help :lol: The harness needs a good going through with an soldering iron and heat shrink, but it "should" run :lol: That is if it's done correctly. All I did was sort it out, and that's a big start. So I don't if the person who did it originally did it correctly, and I could only verify it so much, so if it doesn't run it will be interesting diagnosing it :-\ But not impossible.

He's hoping the reason it wasn't running before was because of the woodruff key being all messed up and then causing the key way to get all messed up as well. So now that that's all fixed it should run...

It was fun working on the car though, I learned alot!

could you figure out the wiring diagram and bring it next time, so we could just identify wires and hook it up , thanks

could you figure out the wiring diagram and bring it next time, so we could just identify wires and hook it up , thanks

Yup yup, I was planning on it :D I will also bring my iron as well and some inline fuses to wire it up properly, since this will be your daily driver :) I think that I got some wire loom around here as well that I could bring up. But either way I will send you the info so that you got it on hand to be able to get it wired in, whether I do it or someone else. I don't mind doing it, it's good practice :)

• 1 month later...

ITS ALIVE well almost

had it runnin for the first time tonight, thanks to Eric on the wiring and everyone else that had a hand in it, its alive just turn the key and varoom, still need to hook up a bunch o stuff, cool its always exciting when you bring a machine back from the dead and this one has a new heart , cant wait to try out that Delta cammed EJ , woot woot

:banana:

:banana:

Where is the signature purple? Cool build! :banana:

I need some direction on the exhaust, I would like to make my own header, if so what should the pipe diameters be and what should the lengths be, also I would like to use the stock y pipe head flanges up untill they turn into pipe, so keep the y at the head, or should I do 4 individual pipes?? , my 2.2 is a dual port, thanks,

Scott...

I had one of these on my wagon for a time: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Exhaust-Headers-98-05-Subaru-Impreza-2-5RS-2-5L-RS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aSubaruQQhashZitem2eb088d99aQQitemZ200530254234QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Equal length, sounded like a honda. More power in the upper rpms though.

I know have one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-LEGACY-GT-1997-2005-2-5RS-STAINLESS-HEADER-4DOOR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aSubaruQQhashZitem255d3f85aeQQitemZ160478234030QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4474wt_1164

Unequal length, sounds like a Subaru on roids (coupled with a 2.25" exhaust and flowpro muffler). Good torque, good power. Its perfect!

Thats the design i would shoot for. I'm guessing dia. is around 1.5" coming off teh heads.

• 1 month later...

Drove it up and down the road for the first time yesterday, boy this things a Hot Rod , sold my other coupe so this one will become my daily D finally got a GL again missed the Map lights and the tach , its drivable , still need to wire in the fuel pump wire , not sure what to do on that one, also not sure what temp is readin its wired in but seams low

5193134590_427ee368f8_z.jpg

5193134560_d975aa9284_z.jpg

the ej temp sending unit reads half what ea's do(when its reading a quarter temp it is really half, or if its at half- its hot) on the manifold there are two sending units, mtnman38 drilled one out and tapped it to put in a ea sensor. worked great. and adam at nwrs can help with a relay for the fuel pump if you dont have the original. did you get the main relay for the ecu? if you run without it you will have to unplug the battery overnight or the ecu will drain it. awesome build scott.