Ultimate Subaru Message Board

got me a new engine!

well,looks like a blown head gasket.Opinion,redo gaskets myself,or have a good shop drop in a good used engine for 8-900 bucks canadian(86 ea82t).Ithink for the time and trouble the replacement is a good idea as long as compression and oil pressure are good .They are going to let me keep my bad engine,including the turbo.

If the gaskets are all that's wrong with it, I would do go that route. Check the condition of the valvetrain while it's apart and reseal everything while you're at it. 1stsubaruparts.com lists head gaskets for $23 each. That plus the cost of any other gaskets/seals you replace is a heck of a lot better than $800cdn. Just my thoughts.

That oil pressure is pretty darn good for any older soob motor. My newly resealed 140k oil pump has about the same pressure. Where's it leaking from? If you're doing HG's it's not much more work to fix the common oil leaks on these engines, since you have to take off the cam boxes anyway, and the oil pump is easy to get to if you're that far into the engine.

well, if you go anywhere with that old engine, check the heads carefully, the ea-82t gen 1 heads are nutorious for cracking right between the valves, and leaking water. its a very common problem, seems to come hand in hand with the head gaskets goin out.

Good luck

Dan

I got a complete gasket kit from 1stsubaruparts.com for $170. Im right in the middle of the HG replacement now...it takes time but is very possible and definately doesnt cost $8-900, but if the cash isnt a big issue and a good mechanic is going to put it in for that price, do that...you can always part out the old engine for a little return-on-investment, too

Originally posted by speedbump

well,looks like a blown head gasket.Opinion,redo gaskets myself,or have a good shop drop in a good used engine for 8-900 bucks canadian(86 ea82t).Ithink for the time and trouble the replacement is a good idea as long as compression and oil pressure are good .They are going to let me keep my bad engine,including the turbo.

The problem with installing a "good, used" engine is that they almost always aren't. Even low miles EA82s will be leakers. This is such a common problem the one Jap-crate-engine supplier I have has a specific EA82 disclaimer on their FAQ, stating that they strongly suggest resealing any EA82 that they sell you, and that there is no warranty for oil leaks!

Flat rate to replace the right side (turbo side) head gasket on an EA82T is somthing like 5.5 or 6 hours. That's close to $600 Cdn just for labor. Most shops charge based on industry std published flat rate for a job, regardless of actual time. I watched a head gasket replacement on an EA82T and I couldn't have done it in any less time.

If you go with a used engine, insist that it does not leak oil and that they'll warranty any repairs necessary to make sure it doesn't -- if they know EA82s, they will probably not agree to this.

If you stick with your current engine, $8-900 Cdn is not a bad price to have head gasket(s) replaced. Unfortunately, that's the reality of having somebody else do the work.

If you can do it yourself, or with the help of a knowledgeable friend ("A friend in need is a pest, indeed!"), and are willing to be patient -- no "weekend deadlines" -- then that's the way to go. You will find things broken or in need of replacement as you disassemble, but that's the nature of used cars. You will save a pile of money, and will know your engine a lot better, and will have the knowledge that the job was well done, which sadly is often not the case when "professionals" take your money -- nobody likes to work on 10 yr old cars anymore, there's too much chance of unknowable things broken when you get inside, parts are not in the usual pipeline, and major repairs like EA82T head gaskets mean that you tie up a service bay for several days while old parts arrive. In short, shops don't make as much on older vehicle repairs.

I work on heavy equipment all week and the idea of doing a sh!tty job like resealing my engine on my days off doesnt appeal to me very much.Now if I had the $$ to hop it up or build a better engine,id be singing a way different tune.

The engine is coming from a shop that I was refered to by a friend who has used them for 6 years,and has been on the level the whole time .The engine wasin a regular customers car until it was smoked in the rear end and written off.

Of course ill ask for compression and oilpressure readings and minor oil leakage can be dealt with.

I just want superroo back....

Superdoo is alive and well again,but holy sh!t what adifference in power!!!!!!!The engine I got is actually a 1990,22psi oil pressure warm,140 psi in all holes and an almost (1 week before the car was hit from behind)new TURBO.So now i have abunch of '90 parts sittin around,and my old engine to mess with,unless anyone locally needs anything.

PS. drove the car for 3 hrs and crawled underneath,not a drop of oil.feelin' good!!!