Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 DL Stereo upgrade / build

Spiderless, now that's interesting! That is a really slim sub, I wonder how it sounds. Hmmm, I might have to stop by when you get your system in and compare our gear :D I am up in Seattle quite often, yesterday in fact. That sub really intrigues me… Might have to research that guy up after getting some sleep :)

I will be interested in what you come up with to get the speakers to fit, since I will be traveling down that path here sometime in the near future :D

Spiderless, now that's interesting! That is a really slim sub, I wonder how it sounds. Hmmm, I might have to stop by when you get your system in and compare our gear :D I am up in Seattle quite often, yesterday in fact. That sub really intrigues me… Might have to research that guy up after getting some sleep :)

I will be interested in what you come up with to get the speakers to fit, since I will be traveling down that path here sometime in the near future :D

It would be cool to hook up and compare. I also get down south occasionally for work, so either way.

Was looking at the Pioneer, JL (too $$), Memphis, RE, and SI slim subs. (from least to most interest) Would love to rock the SI in the soob, but ETA is vapor at this point... I read some disappointing reviews on the memphis, can't afford the JL (overpriced for what you get IMO), want an SI (who doesn't...), so RE it is. Still a bit more $ than originally planned, but finding a box of Damplifier saved me $... so I ordered the RE sub. Techronics had it shipped that afternoon which was nice. Should show up today or tomorrow.

Can't wait for non-blown speakers and tunes!

If i were getting speakers specifically for the soob i'd get regular 6.5" speakers - preferably shallow mount ones. Then it's a drop in upgrade. (don't forget new wires!).

Hindsight... They will fit, but just barely. I'll try to get pics, but seriously I'd avoid the headache and get 6.5's and shallows if you can. Will be a lot less trouble and sound just as good (nice 6.5's of course). the extra .25" isn't worth hours to make them fit (UNLESS they're free... sort of). hehehe.

It only takes a min to pop a panel off - so maybe when we hook up we can take a look at the inside of the door. it would be a biatch to get a good pic of it after it's all sealed up...

Are you guys mounting that spacer thing the old speakers where on? My windows wouldn't roll all the way down so I reinstalled them with the white/plastic spacer thing form the stock speakers, now my arm can rest on a flat surface once again...If it makes them stick out to much, I have seen people cut the speacker cover from kick panel and add the NEW speaker covers over them......just an idea.......

-Nomad

used some spacer rings, and had to move the window channel back to clear.

It's done and running - wow - sounds great. There is more bass than midbass w/ these. Can't wait for them to finish breaking in and see how they do. Should be really nice.

Nothing really fancy to look at (hidden behind stock grills - low profile like), except the tweets in the top of the doors by the handles.

One annoyance is the dash kit still wasn't deep enough for hte HU. Doubled up two kits and it's REALLY annoying me. I'm going to have ot figure something out, but not immediately.

Little PDX amp is so small i think i could stack two under the pass seat if needed - pretty cool (both nice, and actually runs cool).

These things hit hard enough to feel the bass, and and mirrors rattle. Without any buzz, or distortion. Gain set so they are only getting about 65-70w RMS ea. (amp birth sheet says 170'ish per channel) so plenty of room.

Got my RE SL12D4 today as well - getting custom box built hopefully this weekend or next week and i'm done. THEN we should have some bumps.

:headbang:

Rob

I am taking ques from this tutorial on making your own HU spacer/surround…

http://phoenixphorum.com/make-a-face-plate-for-a-non-standard-radio-opening-vt884.html?sid=a01c4d4c7d423ba8ab31c50e04a82828

If you got some time, you should check out the phorum :D It's good stuff, lots of good info about car stereo stuff. I have everything already measured out, just need to cut it, and then buy the good paint. So all said and done it will not only look better, it will not look cheap either ;) And you will be different, well, different than most anyways :D

Just an idea...

I am taking ques from this tutorial on making your own HU spacer/surround…

http://phoenixphorum.com/make-a-face-plate-for-a-non-standard-radio-opening-vt884.html?sid=a01c4d4c7d423ba8ab31c50e04a82828

If you got some time, you should check out the phorum :D It's good stuff, lots of good info about car stereo stuff. I have everything already measured out, just need to cut it, and then buy the good paint. So all said and done it will not only look better, it will not look cheap either ;) And you will be different, well, different than most anyways :D

Just an idea...

I was thinking of doing my own from some light steel. Buddy of mine is pretty crafty and has the welder. Light gauge metal - it's a pretty simple layout (says the non-welder)... But the phorum's mdf probably is even easier.

I'll figure something out.

thanks for the link!

rob