Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

lifters, hydraulic or solid?? brat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jasthefarmer

jasthefarmer

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • shropshire

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:45 AM

hi, ive got a 91 brat pickup and was goin to adjust the valves,but how do i tell which variety of lifters i have, solid or hydralic? as i understand it,hydraulic lifters need no adjustment.cheers

#2 84gl

84gl

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Southwest VA

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:55 AM

in less the engine has been swapped out It should be hydro

#3 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,160 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

do you have a small rectangular sticker on your valve covers? the hydro ones came with a sticker on to let you know not to adjust... of course, in nearly 20 years, lots could have happened... if you pull a valve cover off, look at where the rocker arms are attached. if hydraulic, there will be a locking tab washer on each, with the tab bent up so you can't adjust the nut....

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

You can also look at the push-rods themselves - hydro are steel single-peice units while the solid lifter one's have caps on the ends.

GD

#5 jasthefarmer

jasthefarmer

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • shropshire

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

well theres no stickers, i,ll check under the covers next,might wait till ive got some new gaskets i reakon. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users