Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

can you put ej22 heads on a ej25 block

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 abcus

abcus

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • San Francisco,USA

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

A guy wants to sell me a 93 Legacy wagon with 77,000 miles on the car. He said the engine has 27,000 on it. It is a rebuilt engine with ej22 heads on an ej25 block. Could this cause problems down the road?

Also, could this be a problem getting it by smog inspection in California?

Edited by abcus, 22 August 2010 - 11:33 PM.
another thought

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,622 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

A 93 Legacy would have come with an EJ22.
I would be more interested to know why the engine was rebuilt at 50k miles.

#3 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

wow.
I think ej22 older (90-94) heads on a ej25 would make that ej25 a non interference motor. And no headgasket leak issues.
Brilliant
Wonder why Subaru didnt do something like that. Run it til the Tbelt breaks, slap a new one on.

interesting.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,738 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:27 AM

an EJ25 is basically just a bored out EJ22, so if the work was done right it shouldn't matter.

ideally subaru headgaskets were used as EJ25's are known to have headgasket issues.

BH mentions interference by which he means valve to valve interference. I think these swaps can still create a valve to piston interference so I wouldn't bank on that without further confirmation.

Edited by grossgary, 23 August 2010 - 12:34 AM.

#5 abcus

abcus

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • San Francisco,USA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

Thanks for the help so far.

The guy trying to sell me the car said he bought the car from a novice mechanic that wanted better performance but could not get to run. Once he got it home, he put new a timing belt on and got it running. He claims his son ran it for 3 years. It has been sitting for a year since then.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:08 AM

That's a Frankenmotor - it's a fairly common performance upgrade on cars equipped with 2.2's. It should be quite a bit more powerful if properly done (increase of 40 to 60 HP), should pass smog without a problem, and yes it will most likely be an interferance engine now (2.5's are stroked compared to 2.2's in addition to their larger bore) so you want to keep up on the timing belt. It will also be a high-octane engine now - you have run premium due to the increased compression.

Sounds like a good buy to me - if the work was done right.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder, 23 August 2010 - 01:11 AM.

#7 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

Thanks GD, yeah the pistons or stroked on the Ej25 so it would in fact become interference. I think you can find more info if you search "frankenmotor" on a few sites, that is what BBS.legacyentral called them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users