Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 stock impreza wont start after sitting in rain

Hello, this is my first post. This is my wifes car. An 05 impreza outback. Its got 105,000 miles. After its been sitting in the rain, it won't start or if it does start, it runs rough until it warms up. Somethings getting wet! Does anybody know of a common problem where I might start to look?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hello, this is my first post. This is my wifes car. An 05 impreza outback. Its got 105,000 miles. After its been sitting in the rain, it won't start or if it does start, it runs rough until it warms up. Somethings getting wet! Does anybody know of a common problem where I might start to look?

Thanks for your help in advance!

perhaps the coil pack is damp? the 05's use a Coil on plug setup right?

Coil pack is what the plug wires run into, right?

Engine light only comes on when it starts but not firing on all 4's. The light goes out after warm up.

We've had two solid days of rain that it sat out in and no go now! :confused:

Thanks for the help!

First thing I'd try is just new plugs and wires. At 105k if that hasn't been done recently it's time to. Use silicone grease (di-electric) on both ends of the plug wires for water/corrosion resistance.

If it has been done did you use Subaru wires?

Next guess would be a failing coil pack or ignitor.

Try starting the car at night and take a peek under the hood for blue flashes around the coil pack and plug wires.

Welp, I went out this morning and held a blow dryer on the coil pack for five minutes and she fired right up, so there lies the problem.

Is their anyway to make the coil pack more waterproof or am I looking at a failing CP?

Thanx again!:)

That was a good idea about using the dryer. Check the connections to the coil and make sure they are making good connection. If there isn't a problem there then I would think replacing the coil should fix you up without any more trouble.

Is their anyway to make the coil pack more waterproof or am I looking at a failing CP?

Sometimes it's just surface dirt that causes an electrical leakage path. You could try spraying down the coil pack with electrical cleaner (the kind that's just solvent, and doesn't leave anything behind once it evaporates). Dielectric grease can be used on the inside surfaces of the rubber boots to better seal them to the coil. If that doesn't cure it, new wires (get only OEM Subaru ones) and coil pack if needed are probably the right move.

Edited by OB99W