Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 cross member question

LeoneTurbo

So I've got an EA81 with power steering which I'm going to do an EJ turbo swap in (SOHC so no worries about the engine width). I have a spare non-PS cross member which I would like to modify to clear the uppipe. But apperantly there is a difference between them. Is it just where the PS lines come through or is also the fixation of the steering rack different?

And if I would have an original EA81 turbo crossmember, would that clear the EJ uppipe?

Thanks!

Since we never got the EA81T in Europe it is hard(er) to get such a subframe but I seem to have found a good source in the US who's parting out a EA81T... If the EJ turbo uppipe clears the EA81T subframe then I might aswell spend the bucks to ship an original subframe instead of spending the same money modifying a non-turbo subframe.

People run into right-hand-drive/left-hand-drive fitment issues with these swaps sometimes. I think we should know what kind of EJ engine you have in mind. I'm pretty sure the twin-turbo Legacies (Liberties, in your country, I think) have a different up-pipe in a different spot.

Jacob

Hey we drive on the right side (on all counts) of the road here...

I will be using a single turbo EJ engine, which always has the uppipe in the same spot, LHD or RHD...

So the question is: did someone ever do an EJ turbo swap (Legacy EJ22T or Impreza WRX EJ205) on a EA81T and did he (she? LOL) ever run into clearance issues with the uppipe of the EJ-engine...

I've been thinking:

1. if the EA81T exhaust manifold and EA82T exhaust are equally wide, and

2. if that would mean that the dent for the uppipe on EA81T and EA82T subframes is in the same spot (measured from the center), then

3. if an EJ turbo uppipe clears the EA82T subframe, an EJ turbo pipe would also clear the EA81T subframe...

Or am I making a false assumption here?

Hey we drive on the right side (on all counts) of the road here...

Yeah, I know you guys drive on the same side as most of the rest of the planet:)

I will be using a single turbo EJ engine

That's the part I wanted to be sure of.

What's keeping you from running a custom one? With all this work, you may want to look into a catless 3" one to match a 3" exhaust if you're going through all the work. Unless, of course, the dent won't allow for it.

Jacob