Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Quick CV Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 88xt6joe

88xt6joe

DA WEDGE

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Boise

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:04 PM

Will the cv's click when going straight? When I ordered my my cvs the guy told me cv's never click when going straight. He said that must be a wheel bearings. On thursday they broke completely and I had to get home in 4wd and it didn't make the click anymore. This is on my 88 GL Wagon BTW. 1.8 FI Auto. Just wondering what you guys have had happened to you and if I should put wheel bearings in when I change out the axles.

Thanks, Joe

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:19 PM

Never happened to me on a soob, But other FWD cars I have owned/worked on, when the CVs are absolutely trashed to the point of breaking, they will click going forward.. sometimes quite loudly!

#3 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 937 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:31 PM

I just swapped out my right front halfshaft... before the swap, I had clicks when I was turning sharply and when I accelerated moderate to hard. After the swap, no clicks. I've heard before on the USMB that if it's clicking in a turn, it's the outer CV joint. When it clicks going straight, it's the inner CV joint (DOE).

I've also heard that wheel bearings can sound like a bad CV joint... but you can test it by jacking that wheel up, and see if you can get any motion by pushing on the wheel (other than rotational). If you do get horizontal or vertical motion, then it's your bearings.

#4 88xt6joe

88xt6joe

DA WEDGE

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Boise

Posted 22 February 2004 - 05:19 PM

Thanks those are good things to know.

Joe

#5 soobme

soobme

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • Medford OR

Posted 22 February 2004 - 06:55 PM

Yup! They sure will. I swaped out my DS front shaft for that very reason. The inner was shot! The boot looked FINE, and it had grease in it, but it clicked like crazy. Strait, turning, breaking hard, didn't mater.

#6 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 937 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:14 PM

Boots looked fine in mine, too... but it sure made a difference when I swapped it. Bad shaft had a remanufactured sticker on it... makes me wish they had had the reman's name on it, so I could avoid them in the future ;)

#7 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:21 PM

Mine clicked really badly when going straight when it was bad.

#8 edalexandr

edalexandr

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • cuba mo

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:33 PM

yeah mine click from ca. to mo. and then i change them both
and yes if you change out axes i would put new bearings in no matter what,
shoot you are there anyhow;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users