Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3EAT info

Hey guys i need all the info and links you can throw at me to find info about the gen 3 automatic three speed.

We are trying to fix one at our shop and are having a heck of a time getting info about it.

Any PDFs, USMB links or anything else would be great!

Thank you

It's a 3at, no e, that's for electronically controlled, like the 4eat in the ej-series stuff.

Low fluid

apple-cored governor gear

failed/not hooked up vacuum modulator

Oh, and front diff run out of gear oil

those are the main problems with the 3at, other than being gutless.

the issue with the one in our shop is the customer is experiencing a "lack of power". I test drove it up a moderate hill at 25 mph and i had it floored. it didnt quickly accelerate or downshift, just slowly increased speed.

Sounds like a normal soob with an auto! :lol:

Check for a stuck vacuum modulator or broken spring in it, other thing is make sure the vacuum line to it is run directly to the manifold, and not t-d into one of the HVAC vacuum lines after the resevoir, or same thing with an aftermarket cruise setup. You want the modulator seeing direct manifold vacuum, nothing else.

Vacuum modulators force downshifts, governors force upshifts. Usually if you unhook the vacuum line to the modulator, the tranny will do redline shifts, no matter what the throttle position is. If the modulator is stuck or failed, then it won't.

Also know that the 3at's were known for being gutless wonders. The "lack of power" could be normal.