Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 95 Legacy and yesterday I was searching here to find where most people put the gauge at.. I never found a clear answer for that part but I was looking at getting this gauge here http://prosportgauges.com/52mm-electrical-oil-pressure-gauge.aspx

It also shows the picture of the sender they send with it as well.. from my understanding the oil gallery plug is under the alternator? Will that sender fit? I was reading something about how a NPT would not seal all the way?

The port under the alternator where the stock pressure switch is at is a fairly easy to access location to do it.

The port is 1/8" BSPT, British Standard Pipe, tapered thread. You need thread sealant on this fitting. Do not try to use an NPT fittnig here, it will start to thread in but BSPT has a slightly different angle on the threads and is like 27 threads per inch I think whereas NPT is 28 iirc.

You can get sets of 1/8" BSPT to NPT and NPT to BSPT adapters from most places that sell gauges. Places like mcmaster.com and smallparts.com have them too.

If you use hose to place your sender somewhere else, I highly suggest hydraulic hose and fittings. Hose barb fittings I do not suggest for this application, because if one of those ruptures you are going to have a mess on your hands and possible engine damage if you don't realize fast enough that it happened. Also you will need to make sure your sender is grounded if you use the hose to put it elsewhere. If you tee it up right, you can keep the stock pressure switch and also your new gauge.

I don't know of any, but someone, I think it was nipper, was saying there is a plugged port somewhere that is for the turbo oil supply that can be used if you don't have a turbo.

your post is still confusing me above.. you make it seem like I have to take the stock pressure sensor out to put the sender in but then I have to reroute the pressure sensor someplace else?

You can put a T fitting in to run both is what he is saying. Not that leaving the idiot lamp switch out is a problem - if you have a guage then presumably you will actually read it :rolleyes:

GD

Ah I was going to ask about a t fitting I assume I'd need another one of those adapters for the BSPT threads right? I don't think I've seen a NPT to BSPT? I haven't check all of Mcmaster yet.

Right, as long as your gauge is functioning you don't necessarily need the stock pressure switch. You can either leave it unhooked or ground the sensor wire, whichever is required to make the lamp stay off.

You can get a BSPT or BSPP tee. They might have one that has two female and one male ports on it. You have to check to make sure you have space under the alt too, the aftermarket pressure senders are quite a bit larger than the stock switch so you will need enough room to fit it in there unless you use the hose to reroute it.

From what I have seen - none of the pressure sender's will fit under the alt. You might be able to convert to NPT then run a peice of 1/8" NPT pipe straight up out of the hole it's in and put the sender bulb on top. As long as it clears the hood you can do that.

But a stainless steel braided hose to get the bulb out on the fenderwall or firewall is just as easy but maybe slightly more expensive. I think I paid about $40 with shipping for a 36" braided hose from summit when I did a similar thing with my lifted EA81 wagon.

GD