Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2nd Rubicon Trip...

TheSubaruJunkie

This is a trip report I put up on another forum, but thought maybe a few here would like to see as well. Just a copy & Paste:

This was my 2nd trip to the 'con, but my 1st in my 4Runner. This was Chucks upteenth time on the con, but his 1st in a Truck & not on a Quad. The both of us tore that trail a new *********************, it was an awesome time!!

Damage Report: NONE!

Fun Report: Through the ROOF!

So our plan of attack was to drive up late Monday afternoon & camp at Loon lake so we can get an early start on Tuesday. So that we did. Chuck met me at my Place in Citrus Heights and from there we left and we were at Loon Lake by 7pm.

We decided to drive up on the slabs and setup camp right before "Gatekeeper" (If you can still call it that).

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_2320.JPG

We set off on the trail at about 8:30am Tuesday morning. Our plan of attack was to make it to Buck Island & Camp there. So onward we go....

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

We were making great time. It didnt take us long to reach the sluicebox. I had never been to spider lake, so we stopped for a moment so Chuck could give me the ten cent tour. There we ran into a camper with a sick 4runner, and imagine that... it was red as well :)

IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

After a short stop at Spider we went on our way, next stop Buck Island!

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

But we didn't make it far before we caught up with these guys,

IMG_2373.JPG

Turns out these guys drove all the way from Arizona to run the 'con. There was 1 jeep and 5 or 6 Land Rovers. They were all doing a real good job, but just taking things slow. They were nice enough to let us pass...

IMG_0676.JPG

After that it was smooooth sailing. I dont think we saw another group of people until we reached the lake.

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2394.JPG

The decent into Buck Island went smooth. We were making great time! The trail was in excellent condition and it was a breeze.

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

So we get to Buck Island and we are way ahead of schedule. Its only 1:30pm and Im not done wheelin just yet. This is as far as I've ever been on the trail, last time I was here we camped at buck island and went back to loon. So Chuck & I decide we're gonna keep going and try to make it to the Rubicon Springs, then we can turn around and come back to Buck Island where we can setup camp... then return to loon the next day.

So On We Go!!

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_2414.JPG

The second half of the trail was all new to me, and boy was I suprised!! its like a whole new trail, way different and more challenging than the first half. We didn't take a whole lot of pictures because we were too busy grasping our steering wheels :)

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_2421.JPG

Ok, so we get to Rubicon Springs and I look at our map, and it looks like we're almost finished with the trail. INstead of turning back, we decide to push thru and camp at the top. So we continue and make it to the top of Cadillac Hill before 7pm. A great day of wheelin!!

IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2443.JPG

We found a great spot to setup camp, and had an awesome dinner!! The next morning we woke up bright and early, and left around 9am, by 11:30 we were hitting Pavement on the Tahoe side and airing up.

IMG_2467.JPG

What a great trip! I had a blast, as i am sure Chuck did as well. I definatly want to get one more trip in before it gets cold out. Maybe this time with more people around to take pix :)

-Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Great pics and weather!

I'm no 'wheeler, but have been out a few times w/friends in their jeeps. Always lots of fun. Maybe when I get tired of playing w/my Subies, I'll give it a try. There are a ton of places to go up here in N. Idaho.

Thanks,

TD

P.s. your Sig 'links' are broken.

Yeah its pretty challenging. It is the most popular off-road destination in the united states (next to Moab). However its not terribly difficult. Plenty of stock jeeps can make it through now.

I went and ran Fordyce Creek Trail last weekend... now THAT is a hard trail to do! Makes the Rubicon look like a mall parking lot.

Yeah its pretty challenging. It is the most popular off-road destination in the united states (next to Moab). However its not terribly difficult. Plenty of stock jeeps can make it through now.

I went and ran Fordyce Creek Trail last weekend... now THAT is a hard trail to do! Makes the Rubicon look like a mall parking lot.

Nice report Brian. Funny thing is after running it in 2003 I felt the same way. While it was fun to do once in my life time. I doubt I would drive 1500 miles to do it again. Moab, is another place I want to run but only once.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 4Runner this weekend at the auction by accident of all things. At the auction they had a 9 year old girl pointing at the vehicle you were bidding on. I thought I was bidding on the truck next to it and ended up winning the 4Runner. I ended up with a non running 1988 V6 MT one with 199K miles on it and it rather ruined my day until I put a battery in it and removed the 5 huge hornets nests from it. The silly thing fired right up and drove home without incident after sitting for at least 2 years. Temp tag expired in 2007, last oil change 2004!

Lots to learn about this new to me beast. I had an 88 Landcruiser with the straight 6 but this is nothing like that so far except its the same color grey.

I think I will fix it up and take it to Moab since that isn't a terrible drive from here in Denver. That or I will sell it and get another Subaru to go with the 4 I currently have. :)

There wasn't any way to tell them that it was a mistake and that the truck you wanted to bid on was different from the one you ended up with? Otherwise, thats cool. Build it and wheel it!

Not at an auction...

if they take "your" bid it's yours. Got to be careful with scratching your nose at auctions. I always make eye cantact with the auctioneer and bid takers. And you have to make sure what you are bidding on. Shawn has the right attitude for this one. By accident or on purpose, you won't be sorry with it.