Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for members who went from East to West

Title says it all. I want members who have moved to the West coast from the East coast to tell me why I should move West. I LOVE long winters, cloudy weather, mild summers, snow, and SUBARUS. There's NONE of that here. I'm tired of the humidity, the congested air, and the complete lack of brotherhood when it comes to Subarus around here. Don't get me wrong, I've met some great people through this site but there's no old-gen here at all. Never any 4-wheeling trips with lifted EA82s or EA81s... just Impreza cruises which is fine and all just not my thing. I have some experience in the construction field.

I've been looking at houses in my price-range in Oregon and Washington and I see ALOT more of what I'm looking for over there. I personally think that I would enjoy it more but I want to hear from you guys that have made the big move. Let's hear it...

Hey Jordan I know what you mean about moving out west and if you can I would say go for it there has to be more jobs out there an they are here and by what I've seen they pay more to I just wish I could move too But, with the farm and all and I would hate to even think about moving all my roos. This area has almost no old School Subaru people at all just rednecks and their V8s that said I only know of four within 250 miles you me Nubaru and Subaruloverbrad

I moved from Michigan, I too love snow, but am now a big fan of motorcycling, so the fact that I can drive 30 miles to snow 6 months out of the year and still ride the bike 11.5 months out of the year is great.

Of course, I didn't know that when I moved here (Seattle) I moved here for the old school hatchpatrol, Ken, Zap, Tex, Austin and others. Well that and I had a job waiting for me when I left Michigan.

I moved from Michigan, I too love snow, but am now a big fan of motorcycling, so the fact that I can drive 30 miles to snow 6 months out of the year and still ride the bike 11.5 months out of the year is great.

Of course, I didn't know that when I moved here (Seattle) I moved here for the old school hatchpatrol, Ken, Zap, Tex, Austin and others. Well that and I had a job waiting for me when I left Michigan.

Noah has it right. But we moved here in 1988 from Wilmington, DE (originally grew up in nothern NJ).

As active rallyists, my wife and I saw the best of the area around NJ, but there's nothing back east that can match the mountains and wide open spaces out here.

The only thing I miss about leaving the east coast is close friends; but you develop new ones out here. Only thing my wife misses is four distinct seasons. We do have a Spring and Fall but they are quite short. Most of the year is grey and overcast, but the summers are the greatest. If you can't stand grey, you can always drive an hour east over the Cascade Mountains and you'll find sunshine there most of the year.

I was fortunate that my son bought a used Brat many years ago. That started my love affair with Subarus and led to many new friends. I got into rallycross as a result of WCSS3 and Jeanne and I are slowly getting back into TSD rallying after all these years.

I'm not a city dweller, but both Seattle and Portland have all the city related advantages that Jeanne and I need. The move and transition was hard, but I've never regretted for a minute moving out here.

I moved from Portland, Maine to Seattle 2 years ago. Haven't looked back since! Best move ever!

Got sick of Maine winters, and just the East Coast in general and needed a change. Decided on the Northwest, and drove across (in my 98 Impreza. She took it like a champ!) Cars out here live forever, its GORGEOUS, weather is perfect. mild winters in the city, but you can go be in the mountains and the snow in no time at all. summers are perfect. no humidity, and usually it stays in the high 70s to mid 80s. The grey and rainy isn't bad at all. Usually the "rain" is actually just light drizzle.

There are subarus everywhere! And not just your regular WRX and STI. I see Brats all the time, there are tons of loyales and GLs. Its great. Like I said, cars live forever out here! No salt on the roads!

Have I convinced you yet?!

Edited by 98ImprezaWA

I didn't move from the east.

But a reason to move west.

No rust :grin:

That is a great reason. I lived in new mexico for a couple years back in the 90's. The cars just never die there. On that note the DMV laws were.. well all but non existant, in VA.. not aweful, but fiarly strict.. you just dont see the same occasional mad max style car. So it was alot of fun in my late teens.

Another thing.. BLM, the millions of acres owned by the government of nothing but rock and sand.. and roads.. and roads.. No one cares.. drive all over them.. or that's how it was. In this area.. i had a Honda XR600 that i brought back from NM with me. It sat.. and sat.. till i sold it. Noone lets you ride / wheel.. and what little you can, gets boreing fast. Dont even want to talk about getting cought in national forest, where u arent supposed to be. NM was wheeling heaven.

So clunkers never rot and the law isnt breathing down your neck..

West >> east.. from my experience and taste..

Rednecks are good and bad, like all people.. Trust in the fact there's pecker heads covering 3/4 of the planet.

HI, Ive lived in WA for most of my life. Just some thoughts on Washington.

Washington State as a whole is a great place to live by many accounts.

Scenery to die for. Easy weather, Ocean, inland sea, rainforests, multiple

mountain ranges, high and low desert and every type of weather is within

easy drive in WA.. No more that 3 to 4 hours to get to any of these

atractions. Lots of outside stuff and lots of inside stuff to do. Better jobs

than many locations. Decent laws for the most part. Good personal

freedoms, well thought out regulations by and large, with the exception of a

couple of counties. Crime is low ish. The state has a spending/taxing habit

alot like California's, and we will have the same monumental problems as calli

here in a few years. The state has four major population areas. Tacoma to

the south puget sound, Seattle in the central Puget Sound and Everett to

the northern end of the sound. Together these cities make one huge metro

area that runs from Tacoma to Everett on the I 5 corridor. About 80 miles

long total. The fourth pop area is Spokane in Eastern Washington on I90.

Personally I have issues with King County (Seattle). Im a little OK with

Snohomish and Pierce (I live in Pierce) but there are better counties by far.

Enough time spent here,

PM me if I can help. Overall a outdoor mecca, and a decent state to live in.

Take care

Mike

Or if you want to bypass all that taxation, overspending and smog nazi's,

come to Idaho :D

They're kinda paranoid about water plants (eurasion water milfoil is a big one)

but we have a lot of national forest and a TON of roads and trails around

here.

Like I can drive for 20 minutes and be completely surrounded by national

forest.

We have a third lower sales tax (6% compared to 9%), way lower taxes, less

strict laws (way less strict, like WAY, WAY less strict), fewer people per mile,

better road/snow crews (sorry WA guys, but its true), we have an

amusement park! :banana:, and more good ol' down home country folk.

But, here in ID, the minimum wage is the lowest in the nation ($7.25

compared to $9.05 in WA), not nearly as many cities or any sort of big city

feel, washboard dirt roads in general, some dodgy road repairs, jobs are on

the light side around here and the housing market is a little ridiculous in

pricing (like $170k for a 2 bed on a 1/4 acre lot).

So there are some of the good and bad aspects of Idaho :)

Fire away if you have any questions.

Twitch

strict laws (way less strict, like WAY, WAY less strict), fewer people per mile,

amusement park! :banana:, and more good ol' down home country folk.Twitch

Quit making me want to move to Idaho! ;)

And I dunno about eastern WA, but at least in the Seattle area they are HORRIBLE about snow on the roads. BUT... it made me love my Subaru even more! The only cars on the roads when it snows here are Subarus and Syncro vanagons!

Or if you want to bypass all that taxation, overspending and smog nazi's,

come to Idaho :D

They're kinda paranoid about water plants (eurasion water milfoil is a big one)

but we have a lot of national forest and a TON of roads and trails around

here.

Like I can drive for 20 minutes and be completely surrounded by national

forest.

amusement park! :banana:, and more good ol' down home country folk.

But, here in ID, the minimum wage is the lowest in the nation ($7.25

compared to $9.05 in WA), not nearly as many cities or any sort of big city

feel, washboard dirt roads in general, some dodgy road repairs, jobs are on

the light side around here and the housing market is a little ridiculous in

pricing (like $170k for a 2 bed on a 1/4 acre lot).

So there are some of the good and bad aspects of Idaho :)

Fire away if you have any questions.

Twitch

Ya know Colorado boasts most of that as well just not in Denver but don't fret about city woes, live in Weld County which is maybe 25-40 min from Denver and the sales tax there is only the state tax ( 2.9%. ) though there's only about 4 cops from the sheriff's dept on duty at any given time lol. and there's real mountains ;) though the summers and winters are more extreme than the coast. average is around 90 (highest around 105 for the summer and 50 (lowest I've seen was -20) in the winter with precipitation about 19 inches or so (though it usually melts away the next day so no dirty snow) though they do use salt on the roads so rust tends to happen. Plus unlike the northwest loads of sunny days here. Just my two cents.

Moved from Ohio to Colorado many moons ago. Can't say I miss the heat, and humidity! And the snow is a plus. I live at 10K feet, and we get 9 months of winter up here. Also love seeing the soobies outnumber the Ferds!

Congrats! You've just convinced me NOT top move to Colorado!

Let me add some details. My family has been in Florida for over 150 years. The state is completely ruined. The cops and governments are some of the crookedest in the country. You can no longer wheel anywhere ( almost). It's ok to pave the forest for walmart but not ok to walk thru it with your kids. Big business have made licensing impossible if you are self employed. Billionaires block the view of all the coasts with mansions they don't even live in. Taxes are ridiculous to the extreme , utilities are high ,traffic is nightmarish. There is still some problems here but nothing even remotely like Florida. All the natives and a good share of the snowbirds are throwing in the towell and getting out of the sunshine state! I love the 4 corners area. Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado are all nearby. California and Nevada are not far either and fun to visit. Lots of movies and ads filmed here. Disney just finished another one a couple months ago. 4 wheeling is the best anywhere too!