Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Select Monitor - SSM - Versions?

Edit: FWIW, I was able to use a 'home-built' SSM plug to USB adapter on my laptop with Evoscan. This POST shows the info. Used a FTDI chip cable to USB adapter along w/a Subaru Metra. 

The Evoscan has both OBD1 and OBD2 compatible ROM (?) files that'll work. The parameters aren't alll there (or functional) but I was able to log RPM vs. AFR's along w/a few other basic EcU functions.

I posted in the wrong forum (WTH? Am I a Noob?) about scan tools for issues on my '98 Forester HERE.

After searching for a couple of days it appears there are multiple versions of the SSM. And it appears that '99 was a change-over year, @ least on Imprezas, and probably Foresters.

Anyone know for sure?

I need to be able to do real-time data logging and some of the 3rd-party software supports the SSM (such as ecuExplorer), but appears to depend on the version.

Thanks!

Edited by wtdash

I was a tech at a dealership until last fall. Heres what I know. There are 3 Select Monitors so far.

Current model is a Panasonic Toughbook with proprietary software on it. It connects to the car thru an interface box which is somewhat stand alone in that it has a small screen but the laptop is needed for reflashes, graphing, and a lot of other features. I believe you can buy this tool from Kent Moore, look at spending, my guess, around $6-10,000 to be up and running and dont expect any updates or help from Subaru. Its required for the immobilizer, setting up the remote start system, and many other tasks. Its a pretty wonderful device but spendy.

Previous model was a unit that is similar to a snap on "brick". This is the SM2. IT has cartridges, 8 buttons and is very handy. They are tough but many are probably going to hit the market here in the next year or two because their screens died, cartridges got lost, etc. Electronics nerds will have a field day fixing these and enjoying them.

Requires 2 cables. One is OBD2 type plug end, and then if you want to talk to the yellow plug older pre OBD2 cars you can by plugging a harness into the obd2 end of the normal cable.

Frankly the information you can pull out of a 94 and older car with this device isn't a whole lot more than the morse code we all know and love.

There is a Pre 96 cartridge that works for a ton of models, then theres a couple key cartridges you could buy to round out the set if you have a fleet or cars/shop. Looking around $2000 a cartridge last time I priced one. The unit is likely not sold by Kent Moore/dealer warehouse anymore.

Airbag codes are a pita SM3 do not help with it until at least 2006 or so and morse code blinking is all the techs do as well.

The SM3 is for the most part backward compatible. I never tried it with a 80's/early 90's car but I never needed to either. The Brick only works up to about 2005. I remember it working on the 2005 Outback and maybe the 2006 but after that the Toughbook or interface box or both had to be pulled out. The interface box will pull a code alone but you have to know what PO301 for example is the screen doesnt tell past the code number. It also wasn't very good at trans code diagnostic. It would give a generic number that really just meant that you needed to pull the laptop out and pull a trans code.

The SM1 is pretty hilarious. Its looks like an old Atari 2600 or Commodore64 but without the TV screen. Again its cartridges but you have to have the specific year and model one in the machine to do anything with it. Slightly helpful on feedback carb systems and thats about it. I wouldn't bother buying one. I only used it twice and one of them was just so I could say I was the only current tech at the dealership to know how it worked.

So will the SM3 work for anything OBD2 so long as you have the correct software?

I had tried to get some info out of the Subaru service manager and he wasn't too enthusiastic about helping me. I would just ask one of the techs over there but haven't had the time to get to that side of town during working hours.

If all you want is logging, and I assume that means real time access to live data, there are a number of good options for scantools that do that. Many even support offloading data to a PC for analysis.

Yeah, I keep finding things that should work, w/out the cost of the SSM...even some scary cheap ones on ebait.

Thanks for the replies.

Shawn,

I've got one of the SM1's with a couple Legacy cartridges, and few 80's stuff. It is pretty old school, but can give you some real-time feedback on a few parameters that are worth viewing.

I picked it up off ebay back in 2002 I think.

Wow cool. I assume it does throttle position sensor?

This is the one I have. http://www.canobd2.com/Products/ToolDetail.aspx?Id=AF26F45409CD44DBA95B57B28C545F05

Mine happens to wear bluepoint badges, rather than innova. It doesn't do EVERYTHING I want, but it does a LOT. And the live data function is really useful.

I was looking at a 3160 last year (the one that does ABS codes). Very nice scanners, and easy to use. Decided not to get it because the ABS part only worked for the Big 3.

I was looking at a 3160 last year (the one that does ABS codes). Very nice scanners, and easy to use. Decided not to get it because the ABS part only worked for the Big 3.

Dude...You just read my mind, I was looking @ the Equus Innova 3160 5 mins ago.....and didn't catch that piece about the ABS for Big3 only.

I'm comparing the 3130 and 3140(OBD1, too) after reading your post.

Thanks,

Td

A SM2 would work good for you. I have that setup but I only have the immobilizer cartridge and the 01-06 cartridge. The cartridges are about 4-500 a piece. I think the one for older models is like 700. A BDM Pro scantool is the same thing.( That is the one I have) There have been a few on Feebay over the years. I mainly bought mine to do subarus. I heard the program evoscan does quite a bit for subarus.