Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is it possible 180 degrees of on crank when putting in timing belt on 2.5 engine dohc

i bought a 96 legacy gt wagon with timing belt issues the toothed gear had a bad bearing i put another one on and retimed everything using old belt to see if it runs or needs valve work and it sounds like it is backwards in time is there a wrong way to line up all the marks with crank pully

I believe if you get it wrong on a DOHC, your valve train is toast.

Not really. As long as you get the valve timing within a tooth you are ok. One way to make toast.. get the timing belt more then a little off, but 180 is fine. Another is to get the cam synchro off and they hit each other.

nipper

i am pretty sure i used the right marks a single notch line at 12:00 on all cams and a double at 6:00 on bottom of upper cams,same mark on lowercams at 3 and 9,but what is making me wonder is when i turn over by hand my crank mark can be up and cams can be down untill another half revolution and then they are all right on again

i am pretty sure i used the right marks a single notch line at 12:00 on all cams and a double at 6:00 on bottom of upper cams,same mark on lowercams at 3 and 9,but what is making me wonder is when i turn over by hand my crank mark can be up and cams can be down untill another half revolution and then they are all right on again

This catches A LOT of people, even experts sometimes. Your belts off, check it again

i better go read some of my links.

Edited by johnceggleston

Intake cams (top) have a notch that points up(12:00) and a double notch that points down. (6:00)

Exhaust cams (bottom) have a notch that points at 3 o clock and a double notch that points at 12:00

Arrows on all cams will match and point at 1:30 or so.

Crankshaft has a key way that points at 6:00 and a notch that points at 12:00.

It sounds like you used the correct marks, but read over the Endwrench article (OB99W's link in post #4 above) just to confirm.

As far as the cam pulleys appearing to be "out of phase" every other turn, that's normal. Cams run at half the speed of the crank (that's why cam pulleys are twice as big as the crank sprocket.) If you lined everything up correctly to start with you should be okay.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Edited by Olnick
edit typo!

That sounds correct. Engine revolves twice as fast as cams......if it was one to one it would be a 2 stroke engine.

I will bet you're motor bent valves when the belt pulley siezed. That is why you are hearing funny, out of time noises. Not out of time.....but no compression so it spins fast and sounds funny.