Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Five speed swap in a ea81 ?

I have a 1982 Subaru Gl station wagon with the ea81 still in it. I came across a 4x4 five speed out of an ea82 with the high and low range. So far I have noticed that the transmissions are a different length, and if I remember correctly the clutch is different as well. So what is really involved in this swap. (be honest it wont scare me) I have done a five speed swap in an svx so theres not a hole lot that I feel I can't do, and if I have to make a driveshaft so be it! I do a lot of interstate driving now and feel like my Gl is going to explode turning 4000 rmp in 4th gear :-\ (my car is already a standard)

The swap in our Brat involved modifying the transmission cross-member, modifying the shifter linkage, and using the driveshaft from the donor car (or having a custom one piece driveshaft made). Check with bratsarus1 for his kit to make this easier for you.

Hi This is Jerry, yes i make a 5 speed kit for your car call me and i will let you know what to do 1-509-952-2855. Thanks Jerry/QUOTE]

Sweet deal! What would be a good time to call and what timezone do you live in? I live in live in VT. so I'm in eastern. Also i don't believe I have a flywheel? Does anyone have a flywheel that's the only thing I don't believe i have if not ill just post that i need one in the wanted section. All the scrapyards just crushed all the old subies up here so finding one may be an issue. I can make everything else, and I would buy a new clutch!

EA82 flywheel isn't too hard to find here on the west coast. I may even have one in my "stash." Otherwise, I'm sure someone here can find one for you. You'll find that the holes in the EA82 flywheel are slightly larger. Most people just bolt it down snugly. I bought some brass tubing in 1/32" wall thickness and cut 1/2" lengths and used them as spacers to take up the small gap.

if you get a flywheel out of an 84 or later ea81 it bolts in just fine and its the size youre looking for. overall much better and easier than ea82 flywheel

The large EA81 flywheels are thicker than the EA82s.

This moves the whole clutch assembly away from the engine, further towards trans.

I've seen this combo cause issues where the Throw Out bearing doesn't have enough room to travel away from the Pressure Plate fingers. Doesn't cause problems with every clutch set, but some it does.

It really is better to use and EA82 flywheel with the 5 spd.

if you get a flywheel out of an 84 or later ea81 it bolts in just fine and its the size youre looking for. overall much better and easier than ea82 flywheel

Okay cool because i have a few of those out of my parts brats and other cars! Right now I'm still using the car as my daily driver, so as soon as the snow falls it will be inside getting a five speed for next summer!!

What clutch would you recommend using? Would one out an ex turbo work? or should I just stick to one out a N/A car like the ea82 GL? This is kind of the only thing holding me up i have most of the other stuff for the swap in a pile already. Also can i mod the 4x4 shift lever assembly to work on the five speed?