Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Splittin Dual range trans Help

Loctite 518 on the case halves.

No special tools needed - you will need a 35mm socket. Make sure to carefully note how stuff goes together and work over a clean surface since some of the little springs and detent balls, etc are small and easily roll away.

GD

No need for 35 mm socket with the 5spd.

All you will need is a 1/4 drive 10mm socket on an extension for the reverse lockout bolt.

Remember to disconnect the rod that runs forward to the D/R mechanism before oyu try to pull off the rear section.

The on;y spring and ball needs to come out is the one on the back side of the reverse check mechanism......this will allow the check to be pushed "out" to get access to the 10mm bolt on the shift rod.

Otherwise, it's all really straight forward.

Hhhmmm - I thought there was still a 35mm but I didn't need a thin-wall like the 4 speed...... I could be mistaken though.

GD

Only if you want to disassemble the pinion shaft.

If you are just splitting it to replace seals and in Scott's case weld:eek: the front diff no need to mess with that nut.

Might I sugest - if you are going to the trouble.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m748&item=160476762024&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D5820903939381906431

(instead of welding it). From what I understand pretty much all the Subaru front diff carriers are interchangeable on the 5 speed's.... not entirely sure about the EA's but it probably wouldn't be hard to make it work..... I will be putting one of these into a '95 STi transmission soon so I'll be able to comment on changing the stubs out for 23 spline (that's the goal right now).

GD

Might I sugest - if you are going to the trouble.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m748&item=160476762024&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D5820903939381906431

(instead of welding it). From what I understand pretty much all the Subaru front diff carriers are interchangeable on the 5 speed's.... not entirely sure about the EA's but it probably wouldn't be hard to make it work..... I will be putting one of these into a '95 STi transmission soon so I'll be able to comment on changing the stubs out for 23 spline (that's the goal right now).

GD

that might work for a unit that is being utilized for front drive from the front outputs.but this unit will be used for front and rear drive from the front outputs.so, i think that the welding idea is the better route.

cheers, brian

• 4 years later...

On the subject of detent springs/ balls could anyone post a schematic diagram of the selectable 4wd 5spd D/R ('88) box. I'm having trouble getting the ball back in on the hi/lo shift rail. The one that lets you disengage low range. I had trouble getting the shaft out to change the oil seals and the ball dropped out unseen when the shaft suddenly slipped out. PLEASE