Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So Im excited to get a 1991 Legacy L Sedan 4 Door.

Has the EJ22

130k miles and immaculate interior

I was reading reviews to find some info on them and parts etc..

About 3-4 people said that because it was a V6, it was super fast, but still gas efficient..

How close to real is that?

Is it really a V6 (when I hear that I think of my SUV or a muscle car)

How good is the MPG?

My first improvement/mod (after fixing bumper) is to put an STI exhaust on it, yet Ive heard this is a lot harder than Ill be expecting it to be...

It's known as an "H4".

The term "V6" both indicates the layout and the number of cylinders. 6 cylinder in a "V" orientation - 3 on each bank with (typically) about a 60 degree offset. As opposed to an "H" orientation which is a 180 degree layout, or an "I" (inline) orientation which has all 6 cylinders on the same bank.

Subaru has/does make H6's - the ER27, EG33, EZ30, and I beleive there is a more recent one used in the Tribeca. These are 6 cylinder engines with a LOT more power ranging from 165 for the old ER27 to 250+ for the newer one's like the EZ30, etc.

Other manufacturers use/have used the H layout. Notably VW and Porsche, but also BMW and some Honda motorcyle engines are of a similar layout to lower the center of gravity of the bike. Honda also used a lot of V4 engines in their bikes - just for comparison. But Subaru is not in any way unique in their use of H layout engines in cars - in fact they ripped off the design (actually bought it) off of Lloyd - a German car maker from the 50's and early 60's. The first Subaru engine was a light redesign of the Lloyd Arabella engine and was 1100cc

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder