Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater issues in 88 Legacy GL Wagon

We got this car a few months ago. Runs like a top and get 33mpg and has 233K miles. However, now that it is cooling off the heater blows a small amount of air but comes from all vents. Not warm air or hot, barely even room temp. But slightly warmer than the rest of the air. When we push the buttons to control where it goes it doesnt matter, just keeps coming from all over. I was told by the local subaru dealer that the part would cost over $400 to replace the Heater Mode Control Module. The car just isnt worth that but we need some sort of heat. Any suggestions as to what to try I just dont think the module is failed. I know it is vacume controled. Looking for any help at all. Thanks in advance.:-\

Check for vacuum supply to the module?

If that checks out - just get a used one from a junk yard - they are easy to pull and almost never fail in the way your's apparently has.

I too doubt the dealer's reccomendation to replace that control - I've seen what you describe but it's always due to lack of vacuum to the control system.

GD

dude!!! THREE FORKS????!!!!! MONTANA???? my familys homestead is out there. ever been by pyfer road? thats the ranch. thats where that guy and his son murdered that lady last year. it happened in my great gma's old place on the property. anyhoo, say 'sup to the cattle for me.

RV