Ultimate Subaru Message Board

scoops and acceleration problems

I was watching a rally race and I seen a Subaru GL raceing and it had a scoop on the roof and a hood scoop. I was wondering if anyone would know where I could get on because thats the coolest thing I ever seen on this kind of car. I would have asked the driver after the race but I couldn't find him.

I also was wondering if anyone has this problem but when I hit the gas the car is sluggish and I checked the fuel lines and changed the air fileter but nothing works. Then I poped the hood and manually opened the throtle and it has the same problem. I was wondering if anyone could help.

P.S. as a side note the car did win the race.

I dont know about the scoops, but the sluggish acceleration can be a few things...fuel filter, fuel pump, bad fuel, spark plugs/wires, incorrect timing, dizzy cap/rotor, lost compression...

thats all I can think of for now. hope it helps...

eric

Universal scoops are available all over Ebay, JCWhitnety.com ... um... Summit... etc. You'll have to cut a hole in the hood (or roof, or whatever) to make them functional, of course.

A guy I know made a functional roof scoop on his Mirage with a universal scoop that runs into closeable vents on the interior. Pretty trick.

Hey Knight, what kind of car you got, if its carby it could be a whole bunch of carby issues, not my specialty, but if its SPFI, thats a whole different ball game, check fuel filters, there are two on older cars. replacing the fuel filter is always the best place to start, if its sluggish thats different than hesitation which could be from a bad TPS.

I found that on the SPFI cars if you disconnect the battery for a half hour and then reconnect it seems to reset the keep alive memory and can often make the car run better.

Top engine cleaner, or seafoam can help out a sluggish problem sometimes, especcially on older vehicles, these subies seem to get mad valve buildup.

My '88 wagon (SPFI) had similar probs. Was sluggish w/ hesitation, especially on the low end & not a lot of power overall. I bought an Accel SuperStock coil (about $33) and 8mm SuperStock Ignition wires (about $30) along with new disty cap, rotor & NGK plugs. I was amazed at the increase in low end power & had a nice increase in gas mileage too.

the idea is it pressurised the cabin, and forces the air out any small holes, and stops dust entering...oh and ventilation. I have some pop-up ones on my car, one above me and one above the co-driver, they blow a breeze past my face, which is great when the car heats up half way through a stage. you can buy some from the guys at Palmside

http://www.palmside.co.nz

cheers

simon