Ultimate Subaru Message Board

birth of "Alleywagon '04"

"Trashwagon 6", "Anti-Skip" and "Limited Skip" were also suggested as possible monikers, but I kinda like myself better. Nothing personal fellas...

It's an 89 GL AWD Turbo (A/T) wagon. It's been thru the ringer but I think it still has something left.

Miles Fox & Danny, Jim Woods and Noah all stopped by and contributed to the project. The engine came together like clockwork. It has professionally reconditioned heads, new oil pump and sender, new h20 pump, new fuel pump, new belts, new wires-cap-plugs etc. etc. etc. Everything was done by the book. No half-assed bulls*hit whatsoever.

We ran out of time, but got a sh*tload of work done in very short time. Miles and Danny deserve the credit here. Both are excellent mecahnics and really good guys. Anyone who questions their knowledge of Subarus, or their work ethic is a fool. I'll go on record and say that these guys can work circles around ANYONE on these cars. If someone is better, you'll have to prove it to me.

This car is quickly growing on me, so you'll probably be hearing and seeing more of it in the coming months.

John

we busted it out, routine practice, motor in a 5 gal bucket!

the heads and everything ere mounted and the motor was ready to drop in. we put on new studs for the exhaust, and painted a few things. and we went OPEN BELT, new belts.

the previous owner took things off out of order, was going to take the whole fuel rails and wires off the intak, but at least all the electrical and fuel rail was intact. it had the outboard hitachi ac, but that was removed from the bracket, so its just the alt. a dual pulley alt and another belt will work, or the ac can go back in. we had to use odd bolts and spacers on some of the intake, and the alt bracket, as those were missing from the car

we had it all put together before we left sunday nite, but it would not start. we discovered it had no FUEL PUMP AFTER we tried to start it.

so a quick to auto zone for the aftermarket pump and we tried again. we get spark and fuel, but the timing seems off, as the motor wants to catch the wrong direction. all of the timing is spit on.

if we had more time or another day, we could have figured it out, or borrowed a few select parts from johns other cars. we have a new ecu ttemp sensor also

John, try swapping the disty with the other one and see if that helps. since its together you can refer to the HAYNES book to see of you can get it going

not bad for a car that was otherwise useless, having a dead motor with a broken rod and a blown head gasket, and missing parts.

its like TRAHWAGON in a sense, taking an otherwise deadbeat car and making something special of it, a hands on heart and soul into it effort

let me go to trogdors this weekend and swap his motor and do a auto to 5spd conversion this weekend, then im off to get my car back from idaho. then after the midwest meet, the east coast meet, and the SUBARU ALLIANCE meet, wcss6, i think we can plan for an ALASKA journey!

as far as birth of trashwagons, i think it would be NEAT-O if someone bult the next TRASHWAGON 7

Last nite my brother and I fooled around with the timing, and sure enuff, she started right up!! Ran VERY smooth. It's all about blowing out cobwebs and catching up on the maintenenace schedule now. It couldn't have turned out any better, considering what a mess this car was to begin with.

Again, many thanks to Miles Fox, Danny, Jim Woods and Noah Jones for lending a hand.

I'll post some pics of Alleywagon '04 when I get it all cleaned up...

John

That’s great, you guys truly are The Subaru Alliance. Where was TheTravelingSubaruShow a couple of years ago, I could have used your assistance. It's really nice that you guys give your time & skills like that. Its rare that people will give without expecting anything in return, you guys should be commended.