Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A little project I like to call Gloria (GL+RE+EA)

flight_of_pain

Having come to a point in my life where i have more motors than project cars, I have decided to move forward with a little something I have been dreaming up for ages. Gloria is an 83 Subaru Leone coupe, with GL trim, and an EA series drivetrain. As you can imagine, the whole thing is begging for a rotary engine (RE).

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

Glorious 80s digidash.

IMG_1129.jpg

Everybody likes mouse crap :(

IMG_1132.jpg

All Leone coupes came as fwd, but being no stranger to old subes, I had planned to swap it to 4wd, and use a kennedy engineering adapter plate I have acquired to run the rotary through the subaru trans. As time progressed and parts collected dust, I decided that 4wd wasn't going to cut it and I wanted another small lightweight RWD rotary.

As luck would have it an entire 1st gen legacy rear suspension showed up on craigslist for a paltry $20. Money exchanged hands and soon I had a plan, but where was I going to get an rx7 drivetrain? In hindsight I should have played the lottery that week, because I acquired a free '83 gsl in running condition that had been in a front end collision. I will be using the engine and tranny from the gsl for now, and upgrading in the future (bridgeport 12a )

Out with the old

IMG_1131.jpg

In with the new

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good project and good pic. The 12A is okay but wait til you can get a 13B..... :):grin:

wish i had this.

make for darn certain that oil cooler is not leaking at the fittings....if it is, you will fry that rotary in NO TIME.- they run hotter than a ho with no panties on.

Edited by bheinen74

good project and good pic. The 12A is okay but wait til you can get a 13B..... :):grin:

wish i had this.

make for darn certain that oil cooler is not leaking at the fittings....if it is, you will fry that rotary in NO TIME.- they run hotter than a ho with no panties on.

I'm no stranger to rotaries :) I have owned 11 rx's over the years and my current rx7 has a built 13b in it. I contemplated running it in the sube, but it breaks rx7 parts, it would have turned sube axles to pretzels.

My work blocks most picture sites, so I can only imagine how cool this is. Is it driving yet?

Jacob

Not driving yet, rear subframe is in, rear strut towers are getting built today. Once it is a rolling chassis again I am going to tow-bar it to the car wash to hose off the ea81 before i pull it. At that point the new engine/tranny goes in. The distance from the end of the bellhousing to the shifter position is within 1/2in between an ea81 tranny, and the rotary tranny. The distance from the shifter position to the engines front pulley is almost identical between EA and RE, I'm telling you these were made for a rotary swap :)

Isaac

p.s. You're more than welcome to stop by anytime Brian.

ive been dreaming of a rotary/rwd swap on a little car ever since my festiva. my first car was a 81 glf. i can only imagine how sweet it would have been to rotarify that thing. til now. godspeed isaac.

RV

See, I'm more interested in the Legacy rear, but I'm happy to see someone combine their interests into one car. Hopefully there's a 4WD Subaru nearby for the Spokane winters.

Jacob

I got quite a bit done today, strut tops and wheel well cutouts. I am doing the math and designing the legacy suspension mounting points so that it will be easily duplicate-able by anyone else wishing to do a major rear end upgrade. When I finish this I will make a writeup for the leggy to ea81 parts.

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

We will see what i get done tomorrow :)

Isaac

renob123> Between my dad and I we have the entire ea81 lineup, and my wife's DD is a 99 legacy. Winter is covered... although I do have 4 studded tires that will fit this beasty :)

With a bit of cutting, welding, and fabrication the legacy rear end just about bolts in :) Once I mount the strut tops and fab the crossbraces I will be moving on to engine/tranny installation.

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

Until next time...

I'd weld the notches you cut into the framerails back in, and weld captured nuts in. I assume you notched the frame so that you could access the nut with a wrench?

I had a lot of stock captured nuts tear out of the body of my lifted EA82, so I would weld a nut to a big fender washer, and put that up in the torn hole, and weld the washer to the body. I had really good sucess with that and the washers never tore out because they spread the load across a larger area.

That piece of 1/4 plate is spreading the load :) In that pic it is only tacked in place, but now it is completely welded along the entire seam. The inside and outside are getting gussets as well.

like this once the rest of the gussets are added:

IMG_1154.jpg

Good idea on the fender washer though, I have a sedan that has molested mustache bar holes that I think I just might do that to :)

Made some progress today :)

I originally planned to butt the strut top plates against the underside outer corner of the rear deck, because that is where I designed the strut top plates to index from, and then brace accordingly. Since this car is going to spend most of its life really low, and sideways, I decided to cut out part of the rear deck in order to gain an extra inch of vertical rise.

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

Once I had the struts in I threw a set of stock 15in legacy wheels on it to double check the fit, and my math.

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

Makes the stock 13in xt wheel on the front look pretty small :lol:

With a slight fender pull the legacy wheels will be the cats meow

IMG_1211.jpg

Isaac

That looks awesome!! Great work. Man that thing will be low!!! The wheel is pretty tucked already and thats without weight on it!!

the difference between full droop and static ride height in my DD legacy is 3in, so I use that as my height adjustment. with 3 inches of compression the tire is even with the fender lip. This thing weighs ridiculously less than a legacy, so there wont be a full 3 inches of compression to reach static ride height. When it finally hits the road I will be running very stiff springs/coilover perches so the suspension travel will be minimal anyway. :)

Isaac

• 2 weeks later...