Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New here, and a long term storage question

Hi All,

Long story short, getting tired of my job thinking bout taking a job overseas. I will be over there for at least 3 years. Problem is I just bought a 2010 impreza outback sport (non turbo). My plan was to store it inside one of those rent-a-storage place (get one big enough to put the car in to protect it from the weather). Was planning on disconnecting the battery, removing the plugs and squirting some oil in it, filling the tank and putting gas stabilizer in, jacking the car up and putting it on jacks. Any other suggestions?? Or should I sell it back to the dealership cause it's just gonna get ruined sitting there. If I take the job, I'll have less then 10,000 miles on it when it goes into storage.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the board!

Hm that's a tough one. Personally I'd consider selling the vehicle if it's going to be 3 years. It's going to take a lot of depreciation hit in those there years, plus storage for that amount of time could be tricky. i.e. I don't know if you financed it, but generally if financed you must retain insurance coverage on the vehicle even if you're storing it, in case the thing gets stolen, fire damage etc.

Anyway, if you are going to store it for that time, some things I would do

1. Fuel stabilizer at the maximum dose and a full tank of fresh fuel, as you said. Some fuel stabilizers will let you double the dose to be good for two years.

2. Store at a cool temperature with low humidity if possible

3. I would prefer to keep the battery connected and put a battery maintainer/charger on. Sometimes electronics gets weird if without power for too long.

4. Make sure mice and stuff can't get into the building/area

5. Change engine oil and filter right before storage and run engine for a few minutes to circulate the fresh oil. Any combustion by products in the oil can cause issues during long storage

6. Yes oil the cylinders, then crank it for a couple seconds to distribute the oil. Also I would use a fogging oil sprayed in the throttle body, because you can get corrosion etc up in the intake and such before the cylinders. The fogging oil will help with that.

7. Put an oily rag in the intake to keep moisture laden air from getting in there.

8. Probably some things I am forgetting

Then, on return, before starting the vehicle up, I would

1. Drain the fuel, and add fresh fuel. Cycle key from off to run wait a couple seconds repeat a dozen or two times to circulate the fresh fuel into the fuel rail, before ever trying to start the vehicle.

2. Drain engine oil and fresh oil and filter, yes that oil from three years ago needs to go.

3. Take the oily rag out of the intake

Unless humidity is low, brake rotors may rust during storage.

Then other maintenance should be done as needed, change brake fluid, etc.

Personally, I'd sell it back to the dealer unless I was REALLY emotionally attached to it. Save the money.

If the car is something special, like some kind of special or limited edition, then that's different. In that case, the suggestions above are a good start. I'd also put some desiccant in the car. Something to keep the air dry and prevent mildew inside the car. Have the car detailed, complete with a really good, heavy coat of wax. Tell them what you're doing and they'll likely have some suggestions. Don't forget to have them clean the undercarriage, too.

Just sell it, no reason to let it depreciate plus pay storage. Sell it now and yes you will take a little hit on it, but you will make that back in the savings of storage and stuff. With what you save you could buy another new one when you get back.

But shop around for dealers... maybe one will give more money than another.