Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axle stub shaft pulled out of diff '94 Legacy

Hi, the axle stub shaft pulled out of the differential while changing the axle. Can I just stick the shaft back into the diff? It looks like the clip is still on the end of the stub shaft (see pics). Or should I drain the gear oil to see if there is a clip that fell in? Thank you. :)

pulled-stub-1.jpg

pulled-stub-2.jpg

The problem was I drove out the spring pin on the wrong axle. Then I was tugging at the axle and when she gave way I thought great, it's coming loose. Then I noticed that big piece of metal that I'm not used to seeing on the end of the axle. :eek: And that the axle I just pulled still had the spring pin in it. Oh well, the other axle boot is ripped anyway so it needs pulling too.

Yes - those are meant to be removeable. Later EJ rear axles (like '95/'96) are single peices and use the "innie" diffs. You have an innie diff with adaptor stubs which was done for a short time around 94/95. Just reinstall them and you'll be fine.

GD

Uh......I don't think that's a rear diff stub.

I'm thinking that's the front diff stub from a 4EAT.

All the 4EAT front diff stubs will pull out if you try hard enough. They are just held by those spring clips.

Unlike manuals, which the stubs are held by Circlips that take pliers to remove.

To address GD's comment, you are correct that it's possible to use the early stubs as a "conversion" to use with the "innie" rear diffs, but they never came from the factory that way.

To address GD's comment, you are correct that it's possible to use the early stubs as a "conversion" to use with the "innie" rear diffs, but they never came from the factory that way.

Interesting - someone around here swore they did for a short time. But I suppose they could have just run across some that had been converted.

GD

Thank you for the help. Sorry I should've included all the details, it's a '94 Legacy 2.2L auto trans. I did like you said and just put it back in. I had to tap it back in a bit with a piece of wood to get it to seat, but then it kind of locked in just like the other side.

Somehow I got myself turned around and drove out the other spring pin. That would explain why when I turned the wheel a bit to adjust the location of the spring pin hole it didn't seem like it was moving at all....because it was the other side!

So I was like oh man she must be rusted onto the stub. Well let's just give her a tug and maybe she'll come loose. One tug, nope that didn't do it. Let's tug a little harder. Nope not quite. Ok third tug, the third time is always the charm they say. Yep then she let loose all right. Fortunately it wasn't a big deal. :grin: