Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Outback - replacing fuel filler neck

Hi folks.

Couple weeks ago my CEL became lit (0440 code), so after reading these boards, thought I'd take a look at the fuel filler neck by the right rear wheel.

Well, living in Wisconsin, you can imagine what I found - lots of gunk, crud and corrosion. I'm hypothesizing that there is a leak in there somewhere.

My question is - can I make this repair myself? I've done simple repairs in the past, but I'm not a mechanic.

Thanks!

It's replaceable; there is a plastic cover over it that comes off. But first it'd be wise I think to verify what the problem is. It's possible the fuel cap is faulty as well, or there could be a solenoid that is having problems, or a plugged or leaky emmissions hose in there, etc. An evap smoke machine will show the source of the leak, if there is a leak. P0440 can have a lot of causes: http://www.google.com/search?q=p0440+%2Bsite%3Aendwrench.com

It's replaceable; there is a plastic cover over it that comes off. But first it'd be wise I think to verify what the problem is. It's possible the fuel cap is faulty as well, or there could be a solenoid that is having problems, or a plugged or leaky emmissions hose in there, etc. An evap smoke machine will show the source of the leak, if there is a leak. P0440 can have a lot of causes: http://www.google.com/search?q=p0440+%2Bsite%3Aendwrench.com

What's the best way to locate the cause of the 0440 code? Is there a common checklist people follow?

Click that link above, that's four articles from Subaru that deal with this code. A good one with a description of what the ECU is seeing that triggers this code and possible causes are: http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/fuel/FtEvapEmissionTestW00.pdf

An evap smoke machine is quick to hook up and any leaks will show up as little puff of smoke coming out.

When the filler neck on my old GL rusted through, there was a noticeable gasoline drip when the tank was fueled to the max. Clean out all that dirt and junk between the shield (probably best to do without the shield) and you should see dampness on the filler neck at the very least if not an obvious drip.

Do the diagnosis before you start throwing parts at the car. As others suggested it could just be a faulty gas cap.

Contact http://subarupartsforyou.com

Speak with Anthony and mention the USMB site.

It's an actual dealership w/ online pricing.

Thanks.

Below is the reply from Anthony. Can somebody confirm that I need all 4 parts in the links he provides? Anything within 8 inches of the gas cap on my car is a rusted mess and needs to be replaced.

-------------------------------------------

We usually will sell the filler pipe, top valve, ring and seal and screws all listed here

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partlistbymod.php?model=Outback&subcat=Fuel+Pipe&year=1999

also commonly you may need the upper valve which is attached to the old pipe coming out

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=16370

it is hard to say beyond that without looking or disassembling etc...

all is in-stock

Generally I am of the mindset that if you're going into a job like that, any other parts that are readily accessible that are known to be troublesome, might as well just replace them while you have it apart if the other parts aren't overly expensive. Saves the labor of having to tear it apart again later, or having it ripped open and not having all the parts you need right at hand.

So I'm assuming you are pretty sure your issue is with the filler neck? It's frustrating to replace a part hoping it fixes a problem and then the problem turns out actually to be something else. If the fuel filler neck or area has a leak, an evap smoke machine would show it.

Generally I am of the mindset that if you're going into a job like that, any other parts that are readily accessible that are known to be troublesome, might as well just replace them while you have it apart if the other parts aren't overly expensive. Saves the labor of having to tear it apart again later, or having it ripped open and not having all the parts you need right at hand.

Are you saying that the parts list above is not everything needed?

So I'm assuming you are pretty sure your issue is with the filler neck? It's frustrating to replace a part hoping it fixes a problem and then the problem turns out actually to be something else. If the fuel filler neck or area has a leak, an evap smoke machine would show it.

That hasn't been confirmed, but after seeing the state of the filler neck on my car, I want to replace it, even if it isn't the culprit.

Are you saying that the parts list above is not everything needed?

That hasn't been confirmed, but after seeing the state of the filler neck on my car, I want to replace it, even if it isn't the culprit.

I'm sure Anthony gave you the full parts list but back to your initial complaint... gas caps are cheap or better yet, you can always "borrow" one from Autozone, clear the code and see if the code comes back.

I know you are looking at a rusted mess and would like to deal with it but I think proper diagnosis comes before treatment of your initial complaint, Code 0440. Monkeying around with the filler neck if it is not contributory to the code thrown may further complicate the diagnosis.

I'm sure Anthony gave you the full parts list but back to your initial complaint... gas caps are cheap or better yet, you can always "borrow" one from Autozone, clear the code and see if the code comes back.

I know you are looking at a rusted mess and would like to deal with it but I think proper diagnosis comes before treatment of your initial complaint, Code 0440. Monkeying around with the filler neck if it is not contributory to the code thrown may further complicate the diagnosis.

Would I need to disconnect the battery after replacing the gas cap?

Thanks.

Would I need to disconnect the battery after replacing the gas cap?

Thanks.

I'm not sure that the battery disconnect would work. You might have to go to Autozone or another parts dealer with a code reader/eraser and let them do it. You might want to start a separate thread with the question of clearing the codes for a quicker response.

On a '99 the battery disconnect will reset the ECU. Just make sure to leave it disconnected long enough, like say overnight. Sometimes weird things happen if you unhook the battery for only like 30 seconds. And if that code doesn't come back right away doesn't mean it is fixed, the ECU does that test only under certain conditions like fuel at a certain level, temperature a certain level, etc.

I'm not sure if your parts list is complete; I can't see the vehicle to know what parts need replacing or if any parts need replacing at all. I've got three fairly old rust belt soobs and haven't had any fuel filler neck issues with any of them (yet!) but now look I have just said that so one will probably fail soon.

I have a 2005 Outback 2.5XT that has just recently developed a gas leak just in front of the left rear wheel. It only leaks when max filled or close to full. The tank is not leaking. It must be somewhere between the cap and tank in the filler tube. My local dealer has not seen any similar problem, and with only 38k miles and no accident or off road use, I am very surprised. Has Subaru had a recall for this? What is the best way to get at the filler hose.

I have many Subarus, and this is my newist, and this has never happend before. I live in "salty" Wisconsin.

Thanks!

I have a 2005 Outback 2.5XT that has just recently developed a gas leak just in front of the left rear wheel. It only leaks when max filled or close to full. The tank is not leaking. It must be somewhere between the cap and tank in the filler tube. My local dealer has not seen any similar problem, and with only 38k miles and no accident or off road use, I am very surprised. Has Subaru had a recall for this? What is the best way to get at the filler hose.

I have many Subarus, and this is my newist, and this has never happend before. I live in "salty" Wisconsin.

Thanks!

I'm in salty CT with 05 and 08 OBs (both garaged) and so far no such leak. Had one on an early Loyale though...

• 2 years later...

I did this last year and in the rain no less! :headbang: on my 97 Outback I swear I must of dripped a total of 2 gal worth of gas but yeah get the screws!! glad I did because one of them did not want to come out and the head stripped so I drilled it out.

I did not put that cover back over the filler pipe.. It was full of crud

If you ever need to do this job I hope you have an Outback.

The like 1" body spacer really gives you a lot more room then the other models.

I have one of these used left. Works for like 95-97 IIR due to Evap lines at top. Nothing special has rust but didn't seem to leak. Could be experimented with and coated with something before being installed.

Knowing what they cost I kept them when I parted cars if they seemed any good. And I can't really work on cars anymore.