Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ22 Conversion with NO SPARK!!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

I have an EJ22 in my Brat all ready to go wiring is almost complete other than i have no spark.

Fuel pump relay works, ignition relay works and I even have power to the coil. It's driving me nuts as to why it's not firing. Any help would be very very appreciated... very

#2 Mr. Brat

Mr. Brat

PNW best BRAT

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Graham, WA

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

Cam sensor or crank sensor hooked up?

#3 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:32 PM

Yes and they are, the only things that aren't hooked up are the, knock sensor and oxygen sensor.

#4 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,985 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:19 AM

"Fuel pump relay works, ignition relay works"

define. wired as stock (ECU controlling them) or not? more info on the EJ22?

#5 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:42 PM

I followed your diagram on your write up to a T. That's when the fuel pump started working. The fuel pump is ECU controlled.

The engine is out of a wrecked 90 leg, pretty sure it was standard

I feel like there's more I can tell but I can't think right now.

#6 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:15 AM

did you rebuild the engine? check the cam pulleys for the detents on the back to make sure the correct one is on the correct camshaft, if you have them backwards the sensor won't get a signal, DAMHIK :(

#7 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:20 AM

Did not rebuild the engine, it's in great condition pulled it out of the car with 90k on it.

#8 Yo'J

Yo'J

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • seattle

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

Make sure you have over 10v to the ecu 'while' cranking. If it drops to 9v the ecu might not have enough juice.

#9 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

OK gave that a try and...

Back up power supply has 12v while cranking (expected)

ECU Power supply drops well below while cranking

#10 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:13 AM

Should I run a bigger wire to the ECU to fix it?

#11 Yo'J

Yo'J

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • seattle

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:35 AM

It might be cranking off the starter line, try a straight battery hot to see, like using the wire nut as a "switched source".

Are you wired off the ignition? I found the red wire is to the starter, which has a lot of draw, but, the large black wire is the second power to the column, doesn't go to the starter. That was a problem I had. It put the power just to low to send a spark signal to the ignitor.

#12 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

Yo'j your last post got me thinking, fortunately I saw it right before the site went down.

The wire I had going into the ignition switch was in the wrong location so when I turn to the start position it wouldn't have any power, 2 second fix YAY!!

So now the brat runs just doesn't move. I'm having my XT6 axles shortened this week, but in the mean time I want to get the can moving. So I'm just going to use the outside ends of the axles to hold the hubs together and wire in the locking center diff on the RX trans.

Problem is I'm not sure what I'm doing I've got the solenoids for the vacuum lines I'm just not certain as to where to hook them up to, (mainly wiring) I could use any help here. I'm trying to get this thing driving by the weekend... or next:grin:

#13 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,913 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

The switch has 3 wires.

Provide one with power.

The other 2 get connected the solenoids, 1 each.

If the operation is backwards (locked in the unlocked position) just reverse the vacuum lines out of the solenoids.

#14 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

Are we talking about using an aftermarket switch?

Cause I have the factory swtich from the center console and it has 5 wires, are the other 2 for lights?

#15 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,913 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

Are we talking about using an aftermarket switch?

Cause I have the factory swtich from the center console and it has 5 wires, are the other 2 for lights?

Yeah, probably.

Probably if there is a Red/Green and a Red those are the lights. But that's a guess.

I was thinking of the 4wd button on single ranges, operates the exact same solenoids and vacuum pot to shift 4wd as the Difflock on the FT trans.

#16 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

Got that setup, easy enough.

I was able to drive the brat back and forth in the garage with just the rear axles:grin:

Now the car won't idle any more, I have not adjusted the TPS or do I have the oxygen sensor set up yet or the exhaust built. Just wondering if there's any other suggestions for what to do.

#17 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

So I got it going now, but I don't have the tach working I believe it's wired correctly. I ran the VSS wire to the tach connector then grounded the other end, nothing.

http://www.facebook....54&notif_t=like

#18 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

[attach]8126[/attach]

Attached Files

Edited by martimus919, 17 October 2010 - 01:29 PM.

#19 gwilson87

gwilson87

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • Orem, UT

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

Marty's brat is so hot right now. Fun to drive also if you ignore the random vibrations ;)

#20 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:44 PM

good job

Edited by bheinen74, 17 October 2010 - 05:46 PM.
oops didnt see page 2. thats odd it didnt show?

#21 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,985 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:54 PM

So I got it going now, but I don't have the tach working I believe it's wired correctly. I ran the VSS wire to the tach connector then grounded the other end, nothing.

??

VSS is the vehicle speed sensor. Which should be the signal coming from the speedo telling the ECU when you're moving. Not related to the tach

#22 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

Ya numbchux I just read over that spfi conversion again about the gauge cluster. I guess i just assumed they meant VSS... I'm retarded.

So I'm just going to take a wild stab at this and assume I take the Engine tachometer output wire and plug that into the yellow wire instead.

Also any tips/ideas on how to put in some RS seats, the Corbeau seat was extremely easy considering i just mounted it to the stock seat rails.

#23 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

Ok I finally got back to working on the Brat after parking it last summer. I have it really close to passing emissions but the C.O. fluctuates constantly from 0.06-5.00% everything else is great, help please. Also anybody have a P/S rack? The one I got from the junk yard turned out to be bad. I'm about ready to just get one from rockauto.com But I need to get him done soon. He's going to be my commuter so I don't eat through tires on the wife's car.

#24 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,383 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

do you have the O2 sensor and the knock sensor hooked up yet?

#25 martimus919

martimus919

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orem

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

Yes I do, I've been wondering if the o2 sensors bad though I haven't had the time to check it since I thought of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users