Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head gasket letter from Subaru

I just got my mail and a nice letter from Subaru telling me about the coolant additive.

The part I liked was a bit furthur down where it says that if you have already paid for head gaskets at under 100,000 miles send in the original reciepts and you are entitled to compensation.

I plan to pull my Subaru file tonight!!!

I am happy to schedule with my dealer to get my goop for free also.

If it was not for the warranty I probably would not goop it, but what the heck, anything for free.

but I am on thier lists as the owner of the car. I sent them a change of owner form and I am on the dealership computer since I had them do a bunch of work on the engine and clutch.

On the BMw board I always see soembody post first when we get some kind of notice then everybody has it after a few weeks.

This can depend on how computer savy your folks are.

Cookie and etam -- if it helps you pinpoint the exact date -- I've got a '99 OBW with a 2.5 DOHC built in June 1999.

Unless they built my car with leftover parts at a later date (a distinct possibility) ;) I think it's safe to say the SOHCs were added to the Outbacks sometime after June 1999.

So, other than keep our fingers crossed, what do those of us with 2.5 DOHCs do? :-\

i think subaru is trying to ignore any of the problems with the dohc. i think if they were to extend the warranty to this, they would be out a lot more money, as a lot of engines got cooked and heads warped from the internal leak. i think they did this to try and save face with as little involvement as possible - the sohc was only an external leak, so people usually found it when it was leaking coolant on their driveways, etc, and it got repaired before it became a larger problem... you had to know what to look for to find the internal leak...

i plan to write again with all the names i have collected and see if they are any more receptive...

Hi,

I am a first-time Subaru owner, and I am very confused with the head gasket issue. I own an automatic 03 Forester with 8000 miles on it already. Does the head gasket problem affect this model? If so, what should I be looking for to spot the problem?

This forum has been really helpful. Thanks to everyone.

Subarus answer to the DOHC head gasket problem was................ they quit making that engine!:rolleyes:

This new "Service Campaign" (It is not a recall) and may not be free, is only for 99-02 SOHC 2.5L engines. This may very well be a "customer pay" service. And remember that anytime after that when the coolant is changed this additive has to be added agin, or the extended warranty is voide. So if you have this additive put in at the dealership @ 64,000 miles your head gasket warrenty is extened to 100,000 miles. If you go to an independent shop for your 90,000 mile service they repalce the coolant but do not put the additive in, then at 95,000 your head gasket starts leaking agin....................Well Subaru dosn't have to fix it if you can't prove that "Genuie cooling system conditioner" was added agin at the 90,000 mile service. Just a heads up for owners.

and I am going to try to post it here. Thanks Shreck!

Subaru of America Inc. Recall Headquarters

PO Box6ooo

Cherry Hill. NJ 08034-6000 http://www.subaru.com

Service Program WWP.99 February 2004

Dear Subaru Owner,

This letter is sent to you in the interest of continued customer satisfaction. As a precautionary measure, SUBARU OFAMERICA,INC. Is recommending that a special conditioner be added to the engine cooling system of certain 1999 through 2002 model year Subaru vehicles equipped with 2.5 liter engines. This recommendation, which applies to your Subaru vehicle, is made to prevent a possible external coolant leak at your vehicle's engine cylinder head gaskets.

Background Information

Your vehicles engine cooling system contains liquid coolant/anti-freeze. Over time, it is possible for small external coolant leaks to develop at the engine cylinder head gaskets. This is the result of normal expansion and contraction of engine components caused by the heating and cooling of these parts. To prevent coolant leaks from developing or to correct existing leaks at the head gaskets, a special Subaru Cooling System conditioner should be added to your vehicle's cooling system.

What You Should Do

You should contact your Subaru Dealer as soon as possible for an appointment to have the Subaru Cooling System Conditioner added at no cost to you. The approximate time to perform this operation is 15 minutes. However, it may be necessary to leave your vehicle the full day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling. Please present this letter to your Subaru Dealer at the time this repair procedure is performed.

Future Maintenance

In the future it will be necessary to add Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner to your vehicle's cooling system whenever the engine coolant is replaced. The recommended service interval for coolant replacement can be followed in your Warranty and Maintenance Booklet under the heading "Schedule of Inspection and Maintenance Services". As a reminder, we have included an update page that should be added to your Owner's Manual and Warranty and Maintenance Booklet. We ask you to keep in mind that replacement of fluids (including Subaru Cooling System Conditioner) during inspection and maintenance services is not covered under warranty.

Warranty. Extension

If you have this Service Program repair performed promptly, Subaru will extend coverage under the Subaru Limited Warranty on your vehicle for cylinder head gasket external coolant leaks to a period of 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Warranty coverage begins on the date the vehicle was delivered to the

Continued on. reverse side...

first retail purchaser, If the vehicle was used as a demonstrator or company vehicle before being sold at retail. Warranty coverage begins on the date the vehicle was first placed in such service. As a further condition for this extended warranty coverage to apply you must have Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner added to your vehicle at any subsequent cooling system services at the interval specified in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet under the heading “Schedule of Inspection and Maintenance Services". Resulting damage caused by a lack of maintenance or low coolant level will not be covered.

Changed Your Address or Sold Your Subaru?

If you have changed your address or sold your vehicle, please complete the enclosed prepaid postcard and mail it to us so that we may update our records.

If You Have Previously Paid for a Related Repair

In the event that you have already paid an authorized Subaru Dealer for repairs to remedy an external coolant leak in an engine cylinder head gasket at less than 100.000 miles and your Subaru's cooling system has been properly maintained, you may be entitled to reimbursement for the head gasket replacement costs.

Any reimbursement by Subaru will be based on our suggested retail parts pricing and suggested labor time multiplied by the dealer's hourly labor rate at the time of repair. Because Subaru Dealers are independently owned and operated, Subaru of America. has no control over the actual charges. The actual repair cost may be higher at lower than the rate used by Subaru of America to calculate reimbursement. If lower, reimbursement will be limited to the amount you actually paid.

Please send the original service repair order, which has complete information including the name of the repair

facility. date of repair, mileage at the time of repair, complete vehicle identification number (17 digits), and your name with correct mailing address and telephone number to the address listed below.

Subaru of America, Inc. Customer Dealer Service Department Attention: Service Program WWP.99 P.O. Box 6000 Cherry Hill NJ 08034.6000

Please send original receipts only and retain a photocopy for your records. Please be assured that we will attempt to process your reimbursement request as quickly as possible, but may take up to 120 days for this process to be completed.

If You Have a Problem

Should you have any questions regarding this customer service program, please contact your nearest Subaru Dealer. To locate the nearest Subaru Dealer you can access our website at http://www.Subaru.com and select "Find a Dealer", Or, you may call us at 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783) during normal business hours for assistance. Please call us immediately if the dealer fails or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge or write to the address listed on the first page of this letter.

Your continued satisfaction with your Subaru is important to us. Please understand that we have taken this

action in the interest of your vehicle's proper operation. We sincerely apologize: for any inconvenience this matter may cause and urge you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible to have this repair performed.

... I dropped in, had them pull our records and they handed me my little bottle of SUBARU "Professional Use, Cooling System Conditioner". Along with a warning from the mechanic standing by the service writer (who is basically a pretty good guy, and may even be a board member ... or at least benign lurker), to NOT put the stuff in if I'm not showing symptoms.

The packaging is relabeled "Holts Stop Leak", looks like Barz-Leak dyed red (you know with those little-itsy-bitsy beads and stringy thingies). It smells just like paint thinner. These guys can't believe that SOA is pulling this stunt.

We seem to be in luck, 146,000 miles with no signs of head problems, so the concensus at the shop is we won't have to face the head gasket demon.

I guess I'll just keep it around for the inevetible leak in my '87 heater core.