Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Head gasket letter from Subaru

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:30 PM

interesting that they are only reimbursing head gaskets changed at dealerships. many had indies replace them to save money because they never though subaru would own up. that just adds insult to injury...

#27 timintc

timintc

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Traverse City

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:53 PM

It is Service Program WWP-99 and mine was a uses 2000 Legacy and after one phone call to the zone office they told me to take it to the local dealer and they replaced the gaskets under their Warranty Extension

#28 johnchabin

johnchabin

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Denver

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:31 AM

It is Service Program WWP-99 and mine was a uses 2000 Legacy and after one phone call to the zone office they told me to take it to the local dealer and they replaced the gaskets under their Warranty Extension

Are you saying they replaced the head gaskets free of charge, or did you have evidence of leaking?

I think this block-weld fix is a joke. I have 2 Subarus, but as a result of this "fix", will probably never buy one again. Seriously.

#29 Subaru X

Subaru X

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Northglenn

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:09 PM

I beleive you don't get the letter unless you have a 98 or newer car. Phase II engines in other words. They don't want to pay for the phase I's because there were too many.

#30 johnchabin

johnchabin

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Denver

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:27 PM

I beleive you don't get the letter unless you have a 98 or newer car. Phase II engines in other words. They don't want to pay for the phase I's because there were too many.

IMHO, Subaru is trying to pull a fast one because most people are unaware of just how Mickey Mouse this "fix" really is. I've lost all faith in this manufacturer.

I have pictures from another forum of what stop weld can do to your radiator, not to mention your heater core, water pump, etc. I bought this car because of Subaru's reputation for high quality and longevity. My opinion has chaged as a result of this fiasco.

#31 blitz

blitz

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,091 posts
  • Warren, Michigan

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

I have pictures from another forum of what stop weld can do to your radiator, not to mention your heater core, water pump, etc. I bought this car because of Subaru's reputation for high quality and longevity. My opinion has chaged as a result of this fiasco.

Hey John, post a couple of the best (or worst) if you can, or post a link to where they can be viewed. I'm sure that a lot of people here (including me) would like to see 'em.

Holding Subaru's feet to the fire will only make for better cars in the future.

#32 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:26 PM

replaced head gaskets. So Subaru did exactly what they said they would. The top leak has been in my car since a few days after the letter and has caused no problems.

#33 shortlid

shortlid

Subaru Nutcase

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Derry, New Hamphire

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

We I was hoping I would not have to post on this again.  Here is the situation my Mom is the orginal owner of a 2003 Legacy GT sedan from Cherry Hill, NJ Subaru was a exec. car.  she had both head gaskets replaced at 70,000 by SOA under warrenty, however at 95,000 the dealer that is near where she lives now in Michigan said the head gaskets needs to be replaced again?  This should be under the EJ252 warrenty correct!

#34 Mythical Creature

Mythical Creature

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Butler, PA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

These shops really need to stop using cheap composite gaskets and use the MLS gaskets with PROPER TORQUE on the bolts.  So many people getting ripped off by cheapo parts and lazy mechanics.  Not good for the brand.

#35 Pierobon

Pierobon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • São Paulo - SP

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

What kind of additive is this Subaru special one?

What about us people who don't live in the US, how do we acquire it?

Anyone knows the chemistry behind it, maybe I can buy some similar here in the third world, Subaru dealers here have no idea what this is about, i think it only exists in the US

#36 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,263 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

It's a stop leak, personally I wouldn't touch the stuff no matter what SOA has to say about it.

#37 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,644 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

What kind of additive is this Subaru special one?
What about us people who don't live in the US, how do we acquire it?
Anyone knows the chemistry behind it, maybe I can buy some similar here in the third world, Subaru dealers here have no idea what this is about, i think it only exists in the US

It was only a problem on the 2.5 non-turbo engines.
If you don't have any leaks around the head gaskets, don't bother with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users