Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Expansion Tank Cap - Do I NEED one?

Deener

The reason I ask is because I am about to buy another Loyale and I noticed the overflow/expansion tank cap is missing and I have to drive it about one hundred KM to get it back home.

I know on my old VW, the cap was required because it was pressurized in the tank, but I get the sense that with the Loyale (1991) isn't really that much of an emergency.

Does anyone know if anything else will fit on that if I can't find one for the meantime? I am thinking some thick plastic and a zip strap...?

Thoughts?

In those era soobs the overflow tanks were not pressurized. The cap really just keeps junk from getting into the overflow, which could then get sucked up the rubber tube. Something such as a sandwhich bag and rubber band might be sufficient to make it through.

Oh the plastic caps are also more resistant to coolant gnomes than sandwhich bags.

Ha ha...yeah. I used a piece of foil from a 'Big League Chew' package and two elastics from two old air fresheners that were lying around in the car. It made it all the way without issue.

Sweet - another Loyale!! This one was from Arizona with 166 miles on it. Barely any rust, racks, nice exhaust, clean engine bay...etc. STOKED.

Thanks a bunch...