Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Drum brake and parking brake shoe lining separating from shoe, happened to you?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,943 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:36 PM

Just wondering how many people have had their drum shoe lining separate from the shoes or parking brake lining separate from the shoes. I have had it happen to the rear drums on my '96 Legacy brighton last year, and on the parking shoes on my '94 Legacy this year.

In both cases it happened to all the shoes. When I took the drums off, the linings were just loose, separated from the shoes. Which would explain the odd noises encounted in braking and using the parking brake.

#2 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

Kinda common - more common than it should be.

Someone here told me that NAPA has them. And it was cheaper than the dealer kit (or wherver I could get a kit with glue and such).

Anyways NAPA is the place to go. I do 95-99's but I'd expect the 94 to be the same.

#3 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

Yup, an unfortunate number of bonded shoe linings are coming loose these days. I've had parking brakes from explorers, titans, subarus, and others falling apart.

Autopart international sells them for a lot of makes too, not sure about subaru.

#4 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,943 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the info. So far I've just been getting the parking brake shoe kits from Subaru. The hardware kit is separate. On my rusty soobs they definitely need the hardware kit too with the new little springs, cups, etc. I hate this job because it just seems more like an art to get all those little pieces put back together the right way with the springs fighting you and grease all over the place. I always feel like I need about five hands to do it.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

I have seen it, but not a ton on the drum shoes.

I HAVE seen pad material delaminating from the backing plate. I just did rear brakes on an '02 Honda Odyssey and one of the pads had nothing but the backing plate lett. All the others were 30% or better and the calipers were fine. My analysis was that the pad material just came loose from the backing.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users