Ultimate Subaru Message Board

quickie (rwd conversion)

first of all its done, along with my xt6 clutch setup. ..

but, do i need to have something on the tranny side?

Or just leave it open stubs?

and am i going to ruin anything driving around with the difflock on? its much funner in rwd, it changed the dynamics of the car to my liking (oversteer)..

just curious.

are you talking about the xt 5spd full time? does it have a diff lock?

the rx has the axles removed from the REAR, its running FWD, with the diff locked on its FT4WD 5spd dr. with the diff unlocked, it will not moved

if you are talking about running off just the rear axles, you can engage 4wd n a pushbutton, wd hi/lo on the dr, or lock the diff on full time

as far as reliability, i got 3000 miles of cross state driving and winter donuting on my 4wd wagon, front broken axle, and a rigged 25spline doj on 2wd axle.

the rx went to columbus and back, 400 miles tound trip. and we are going to WV this weekend.

if you run off the front or the rear only, the other stubs will rotate the same speed as the live axle. but if a wheel spins on the live axle, the stub will increase rpm in proportion to speed, to match the wheel spin

we could roll around all day and up to Skip's driveway with either configuration

yes, its an 88 with full time 4wd, d/r and difflock..

and i know it wont go anywhere with the difflock off, cuz it sends the power to least resistance. it runs / drives fine like this,

i just wanted to make sure its not gonna hurt it with the stubs on the tranny open, and the difflock engaged all the time.

It drifts nicely, and will spin the tires like crazy!

Ive actually wondered about doing this with my rx. Im not sure if im fully satisfied with the awd's handling. Im not sure if it would handle any better or worse but its cool that someone has tried this. Are you planning on keeping it like this? and would this improve gas milage do you think?

Mike

maybe he was just having a bad day, and didnt feel like reading the username or sig.. Ive had days like that, well..

every single monday..

oh yeah, heres a funny one for you guys, (im going to video this)

Pull up the ebrake (locks the front tires) rev it up a lil' drop the clutch and BAM, Light up both rear tires.. Get the revs up, and when you get about 8-9 psi on the boost gauge, release ebrake,

and enjoy your LSD for about 80 feet down the street.. :D

it handles MUCH more neutral now in constant state cornering..

It still has a hint of understeer, but its not dangerous like it was..

yes, you heard me.. understeer is dangerous...

Originally posted by xforxlifex

TROGDOR F off. As i was typing i didnt feel like looking. Thats also the reason why i wrote "you might have posted it earlier?" Your attempt to be funny isnt, atleast to me. so like i said earlier F off.

I wasn't attempting to be funny or a wise rump roast. All I was saying was if you read the guy's name, you'll find out what kind of car he has. As for telling me to "F off" over this... I'm not even going to comment.

Yep, I believe it, I see FWD's in the ditch all the time.

There you are going around a slippery, snowy, icy corner way too fast. You realize you are going too fast. So you take your foot off the gas - BAD MOVE! Now, it suddenly oversteers, and you steer into the skid, like you are supposed to, curse, and remember to put the gas ON , not OFF 'cause it is a FWD. So you do. Now, the car is somewhat sideways, and the wheels are pointing into the ditch, and the FWD drive-where-you-point-it traction characteristics suddenly take over again, and there you are, across the wrong side of the road and in the ditch. If you haven't been hit by a semitrailer as you cross the other lane of traffic...

FWD's go in the ditch on the other side of the road, front end first. RWD's go in the ditch on their own side, backwards. And 4x4's go in the ditch upside down!

But I still hit the button when the road is white, because it gives me a fighting chance to stay on the road.

I'm planning to convert my RX to RWD also, once winter is done here. However, the main reason I'm converting is due to the fact that I have a Part Time 4WD model. So when I'm not in 4WD mode I'm just igniting 1 front tire the whole time. LOL :)

My plan is to go RWD during the spring, summer and fall, then convert back to PT4WD for the winter. :D Too bad it wouldn't be easy to make these cars PT4WD with the 2WD mode driving the rear wheels...LOL :)