Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lifted obs needs powertrain advice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 impoutback 97

impoutback 97

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Ghett-O, UT

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

So ive been planning on doing the ea82 tranny swap into my 97 OBS. The one hiccup is me trying to talk myself into throwing the bigger tires on to complete the lift. My 3.90 tranny struggles as it is with the stock tires so I dont see how throwing bigger tires on the car will help, other than clearance and filling the wheel well better than the stocker tires once its lifted.
My friend has a mid 90's legacy outback wagon with frontend dammage. So I plan on taking the suspension from that for the obs. We got to talkin about gettin more power out of the ej22. After a few combinations we figured why not swap out the whole drivetrain. I loose the low gear I was origionally looking for in the D/R but gain power, keep AWD, and 4.44 finaldrive ratio.
The OBS is my daily driver that hits the trails on the weekends.

So I guess what Im saying is... What would you do?:confused:

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,902 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:02 AM

97 OBS should be an EJ22 with a 4.11 ratio trans?

90's Outback will an EJ25 but will also be a 4.11 ratio trans.

So.....I don't see where swapping anything in that combo would beneifit other than a few ponies from the EJ25.

Now, with the 3.9 EA D/R, you would have a taller final drive, but the gears themselves are lower and closer toghether. So it would work out fine, and with the low range you'd have the torque when you need it.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,674 posts
  • WV

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:42 AM

the EJ22 doesn't have enough power? that sounds strange, the EJ swapped guys love the EJ22 for offroad?

#4 impoutback 97

impoutback 97

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Ghett-O, UT

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

My 97 obs has 3.90 final drive ratio.

#5 True2Blue

True2Blue

SU<3ARU

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Belfair WA

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

this is exactly what ill be doing here real soon. i did some research and you can "mod" the d/r with a 4.11 AWD pinion shaft. this lets you run 4.11's giving your engine a break and seemingly more power. i have the link to the build page if needed..

ill be doing as much as i can to give it all the HP the drive train (axles, lift,tranny & diff and whatnot) can handle

ADDING AM
cams
valves & springs
6 angle seat grinds
true port and polish
turbo (maybe) unless i get a turbo'd obs

you get the idea

id like to know what ya have in mind. i cant wait to start my build

#6 impoutback 97

impoutback 97

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Ghett-O, UT

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

this is exactly what ill be doing here real soon. i did some research and you can "mod" the d/r with a 4.11 AWD pinion shaft. this lets you run 4.11's giving your engine a break and seemingly more power. i have the link to the build page if needed..

ill be doing as much as i can to give it all the HP the drive train (axles, lift,tranny & diff and whatnot) can handle

ADDING AM
cams
valves & springs
6 angle seat grinds
true port and polish
turbo (maybe) unless i get a turbo'd obs

you get the idea

id like to know what ya have in mind. i cant wait to start my build

what i had in mind was to pull the ej25 engine, trans and rearend. along with the suspension and wheels

Edited by impoutback 97, 30 September 2010 - 08:46 PM.

#7 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,902 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

My 97 obs has 3.90 final drive ratio.

???

You are possitive? cause lower gearing and larger tires is what I thought made them "outbacks" and not just a 2-tone painted impreza.

#8 impoutback 97

impoutback 97

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Ghett-O, UT

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, Im positive. My 97 Impreza Outback Sport came with 3.90 final drive ratio. Which makes it possible to do the ea82 tranny swap. The ea82 also has 3.90 final drive ratio. If I were to take the outback wagons trans and throw it in my OBS then I would also have to swap out the rear axle and gearbox to match the final drive ratio in the outback wagons trans. (4.11 final drive ratio, i think)

#9 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,902 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:59 PM

It's not that easy.

you need a P/T D/R EA case and upper shaft, a FT4wd EA box for a set of gears that will fit, and a 4.11 AWD for the lower shaft.

Various shift forks need swapped, and the 4.11 ring gear needs to be "clearanced" to not hit the D/R shift collar.

Pretty complicated and takes alot of $ for donor parts trannies.

#10 True2Blue

True2Blue

SU<3ARU

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Belfair WA

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

It's not that easy.

you need a P/T D/R EA case and upper shaft, a FT4wd EA box for a set of gears that will fit, and a 4.11 AWD for the lower shaft.

Various shift forks need swapped, and the 4.11 ring gear needs to be "clearanced" to not hit the D/R shift collar.

Pretty complicated and takes alot of $ for donor parts trannies.

its only expensive if you dont know how to shop/look around. and i know its not novice level mechanic work but the build thread is there with a lot more guidance on here.

its something ill be doing for sure ill add everything up when it comes down to it..

awesome input though

#11 impoutback 97

impoutback 97

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Ghett-O, UT

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

Started tearing the suspension off today. Gonna leave the drivetrain alone and stick with the 3.90 gearing in the d/r for now. Ill just run the obs' stock tranny for now with the lift until I get the tranny adapter plate made and driveshaft refitted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users