Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to Subaru!

Hello all,

My name is Darrek and this week I purchased a 1986 Subaru GL with 235,000 miles. It came with many goodies like 4WD, 5 on the floor, power steering, power locks, power windows, AC (not working), and carbeurated 1.8L engine. It seems the entire exhaust is rusting apart, and it sounds like an old truck, but I love it!

I bought this car as a winter driver, since winter tires for my RX8 would cost more than buying this car. I picked it up for $550.00.

DSCF1504.jpg

DSCF1505.jpg

Let me know what you think! I would ask about what type of exhaust to do, but would rather search the forum than get flamed.

-Darrek

Welcome. Youll find an incredible amount of info :)

And friendly people!:banana:

Yes, search function is the best idea. But since Im here.

I think any exhaust would do, since its rotting through, you might just take it in and have them replace it with a 2 inch pipe all the way down if you can, I did that with my Loyale and it wasnt too bad. Got the job done and didnt sound like a Honda:lol:

OR DIY and save money, thats always a good thing.

It has some rust already, covered up by some blue paint. I think I may repaint the whole car so something a bit more masculine than baby blue though.

Update on the car, now have installed a Sony 50Wx4 cd player. The back speakers are working, but the front are not, probably due to that shared ground speaker setup in this. I am going to rewire it anyways and put 6x9's in a reasonable spot (not by my feet). Back (stock) speakers sound suprizingly good! 1/2 to 2/3 of speaker volume is lost due to poor speaker placement however.

Maybe I will update with a picture of the new exhaust. I even put on a nice shiny exhaust tip from advance auto, so at least one car would look good next to my RX8. :lol:

Tim: what breed of Subaru are you driving?