Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82T Compression/Head Gasket Question?

I started up my '87 GL10 turbo today after it sat for about three days and it ran VERY rough with a bad miss. After checking the usual easy stuff (plugs, wires,etc) I determined that the right FRONT cylinder was not firing. A compression test indicated ZERO compression in that cylinder. The gauge needle didn't even move! The right REAR cylinder reads about 105-110 PSI, and I didn't check the left side cylinders.

Three days ago when I last started it, it seemed to run fine, but maybe with more visible exhaust than usual (white smoke?) It was a cold day below freezing so I didn't pay too much attention. So I'm guessing it's probably a blow head gasket, but could it be a timing belt or something else causing no compression in the one cylinder?

Thanks,

Dave

I once tore apart an EA82, where the cracks between the valves had gotten so bad, that the exhaust valve seat came out, which caused that cylinder to not do anything.. I would do a cylinder leakage test, so you can find out where its coming from.

Noise in exhaust -exhaust valve, noise in intake -intake valve, bubbles in radiator -head gasket, noise in crankcase -hole in piston :eek:

If you dont have a tester for that, a trip to the hardware store, and some creative thinking, and you can probably make one out of a bicycle pump.

Shoot some oil in that cylinder and retest the compression. If it goes up it's either stuck/broken or worn rings. If it doesn't come up it's either a hole in the piston or a timing problem - the leakdown test will pinpoint as mentioned. Good luck.

my rx did the same thing... drove it home, was fine.. parked it.. it sat for a few hours.. then i went to start it and it had a mis .. checked everything.. and figured out it was a head gasket..

i ran it for a few minutes and it started blowin water out the tail pipe.. so you prolly have a blown HG.. sorry my friend..

after reading your other post first, then reading this, maybe the cam had the valve open when it sat, and stayed open

as far as an "in the car fix" tou may go as far as pulling the cam cover, or even the cam tower and cam, and try smacking the valve spring with a hammer to loosen it.

and if that doesnt work, at least you are torn down enough to pull the head