Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought a 96 Legacy GT. It has 92k miles and seems pretty solid. I paid $4400.

What should I do to this right off the bat. I'm doing the usual tune up stuff but plan on changing the timing belt.

I see these have a tranny output shaft problem, is there any preventative maintenance I can do to nip it in the bud??

Any other issues before things get ugly????

sounds like a good price.

is it AWD? I bought the one in my sig for $400 less, and it is AWD, and has a rebuilt motor. Only mechanical problems are the clutch needs to be replaced and the front Y pipe cat is bad. oh well.

Sounds like you got a good price, hope the interior/exterior is good too. And the GT... mmm... has the spoiler *and* the hood scoop right? Then there are the GT wheels.

Stuff like good oil, engine, transmission, and dif, will help alot. I will never run cheap (cheaply made) oils in my car(s).

Its the GT, it has an Auto & AWD. It has the spoiler and ground effects but no hood scoop (I think the scoop came on later models), leather seats with "GT" embroidered on & a sunroof. It has 15" wheels, they are stock subaru 5 stars. I think the GT Limited came with the 16" bbs style rims.

Nice car & handles very tight but am concerned about some maintenance issues with it.

I've got a 96 GT wagon spec'd out the same it sounds like. Here are the problems I've had - I don't know enough about cars to know if any of this can be handled in a preventative manner, but maybe. The car has been great to me all-in-all.

-engine seals

-CV joints

-several cam sensors and 02 sensors

-steering rack (leaky)

I do have the transmission issue, but it is my own fault for running different sized tires for a long time. It is a fun car and I'm disheartened that you on;y paid $4400 for your with 92K, as I was hoping to get $3,000 for mine with 175K, but I doubt that is possible. What color is yours? I have green and still like the color. Good luck!

Aja1

I've got a 96 GT wagon spec'd out the same it sounds like. Here are the problems I've had - I don't know enough about cars to know if any of this can be handled in a preventative manner, but maybe. The car has been great to me all-in-all.

-engine seals

-CV joints

-several cam sensors and 02 sensors

-steering rack (leaky)

I do have the transmission issue, but it is my own fault for running different sized tires for a long time. It is a fun car and I'm disheartened that you on;y paid $4400 for your with 92K, as I was hoping to get $3,000 for mine with 175K, but I doubt that is possible. What color is yours? I have green and still like the color. Good luck!

Aja1