Ultimate Subaru Message Board

power door locks not working

You said you replaced the fuse, is the fuse still good, or did it blow?

If you are blowing the fuse when you put it in, then you have a short some where obviously. So I would try looking at the wiring and check to see if there is anything obvious...

Good question...sorry I was not clear

I expected the new fuse to possibly blow but it did NOT...

Would I be correct in assuming there is some kind of control box for this either in the drivers door or under the dash?

I just landed a decent parts car that is 2002 so I can do some part swapping if someone knows where it is

Unfortunately I do not know where it would be at, I got a 1990 leggy, so they are different enough that I can't really help you there. I would suspect it's either in the door, or under the dash on the drivers side. But this is purely speculation on my part, so take it for what it's worth ;)

That's really strange that the fuse is not blown but it still doesn't work. Did you test the fuse, or does it just look not blown? Not to drive this hard or anything, I am just making sure it is not something simple. If you have a DMM, I would test the fuse to make sure it is all good to rule it out completely... Sometimes they are blown, but don't look it. This has happened to me in the past. Maybe I am just hoping that it's something easy like that for your sake :) IDK...

Unfortunately I do not know where it would be at, I got a 1990 leggy, so they are different enough that I can't really help you there. I would suspect it's either in the door, or under the dash on the drivers side. But this is purely speculation on my part, so take it for what it's worth ;)

That's really strange that the fuse is not blown but it still doesn't work. Did you test the fuse, or does it just look not blown? Not to drive this hard or anything, I am just making sure it is not something simple. If you have a DMM, I would test the fuse to make sure it is all good to rule it out completely... Sometimes they are blown, but don't look it. This has happened to me in the past. Maybe I am just hoping that it's something easy like that for your sake :) IDK...

well...I took out a fuse that was working (fuel pump maybe?)...tried it in the door lock slot...then put it back where it belonged. I'm going to check again...it just seems that it should have blown again. it's strange

well...I took out a fuse that was working (fuel pump maybe?)...tried it in the door lock slot...then put it back where it belonged. I'm going to check again...it just seems that it should have blown again. it's strange

perhaps the short? is intermittent. the first place i would check is where the wires move from the driver door to the A pillar. i would think that is a stress point, maybe.

maybe it will only blow if you are actuating the lock and the door at the same time.

So, just to be clear....when you push the button on the keyfob, even with the new fuse in place, nothing at all happens. Is that correct?

There are several components at work here, but the two important ones are the keyless entry box and the actuator in the driver's door. You'll need a DMM to check this out. If you don't have one already, go get one and get a decent one.

The first thing to check is the lock wire on the driver's door actuator. Use the keyless entry fob to try to lock the door. You should see that wire come up to 12-VDC. If it does, then the problem is the actuator. If it does not, then the problem is with the keyless entry box.

So, just to be clear....when you push the button on the keyfob, even with the new fuse in place, nothing at all happens. Is that correct?

There are several components at work here, but the two important ones are the keyless entry box and the actuator in the driver's door. You'll need a DMM to check this out. If you don't have one already, go get one and get a decent one.

The first thing to check is the lock wire on the driver's door actuator. Use the keyless entry fob to try to lock the door. You should see that wire come up to 12-VDC. If it does, then the problem is the actuator. If it does not, then the problem is with the keyless entry box.

thanks scoob

yes, you are correct

I have a dmm...I'll try to find time to check it out

where is the keyless entry box/?