Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I THINK, if they are both auto trans or both 5 speeds the final drive ratios will match, 4.44 auto, 4.11 5speed, just swap in the rear diff.

if they are not both the same the ratios will not match and you will have to swap the guts. remove the open carrier and swap in the viscous guts.

i don't know for sure but the basics are pretty simple. it is the fine tuning, the shims?, adjustments? that may be tricky. but i don't even know if it will get out of adjustment during the process. some one else will though.

EDIT: see next post, apparently the ratios are different.

Edited by johnceggleston

It's a limited slip diff, not a locking. Locking is better but not offered for subarus. There's a bunch of pictures of swapping the internals here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66430

Make sure the shims between the bearing side covers stay on the same side and with your 4.44 housing. They set bearing preload and gear alignment.

Use the carrier and the ring gear bolts only from the H6 diff, everything else from your open diff.

The H6 differential is a 4.10 ratio.

after thought: where did you get the h6 rear diff? why not just get one that matches. outbacks starting in 00 or 01 all came with a VLSD and GTs by 03. you can get one for 150$ easy and just bolt it in.

www.car-part.com

the above web site refers to them as "locking" but as stated above they are really a viscous limited slip.

Edited by johnceggleston

all i know is it is a lmted slip and it was a flood car 03 h-6 with no trac control and its not and open diff i just want the lmted slip to get side ways on dirt, and they both are auto trans

this shows it is a 4.11 ratio. it also shows an exploded view for a better understanding of how it fits together.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_27/train/differential_individual/illustration_2/

i don't know where you are located, but i'd try to sell the one you have and use the money to buy the one you need.

of course shipping it the pit$$.

Edited by johnceggleston

The H6 diff is free, it's been sitting in a parts pile for a while. Swapping ring gears across carriers isn't hard, I've done it with the clutch pack LSD's before into a 3.9 housing. Wheeling and dealing to get the right ratio diff is more work than swapping the carrier into the other housing. Free is free, can't get much cheaper or easier than that.

The viscous LSD won't do much to help out off-road. It's a "street" diff and doesn't lock quickly enough at low speeds to be of any real use off the street.

GD

While true for areas where you're lifting rear wheels off the ground and crawling on rocks, the viscous LSD will help plenty in mud, snow, and loose dirt.

Remember that the center diff on an EJ 5mt is a viscous LSD and it responds plenty fast to keep the power spread to both ends. You can get stuck with 1 wheel up in the air if you're on a serious grade or wedged against something, but the torque transfer of the VC is pretty good.

The problem around here is finding a clutch pack LSD, the last RX or GL-10 rusted off the road by the late 90's. Then if you found one you'd have to do mix and match with the CV cups on the rear axles to switch from the male splined plug in axles to the stub shaft and female splined inner CV cups of the older style.

Viscous LSD's are what's available, and they are certainly better than the open diff he's got.

Yeah - can't hurt anything. I just wouldn't expect a lot from it. Even the clutch-type LSD's are really too small for a wheeler - the difference between a welded diff and a clutch type is like night and day. And the clutch type is the better of the two Subaru LSD's. The Viscous is neat on my '91 SS while cornering on pavement - though I didn't notice that it did much on snow last time I tried that.....

Still - can't hurt anything as you say.

GD

Yeah, none of the options we have really are great for a wheeler. Welded, clutch, viscous or open. I had heard some talk of an air locker being available for R180's as they were used in the front of nissan pickups. Not too sure about the details on that.

The outback in question isn't really a wheeler, it's a fire road/gravel pit car. The viscous LSD should work fine for that.

Oh, and Dfreeman take a look at this I just ran across:

http://www.subtle-solutions.com/product_info.php?products_id=107&osCsid=2edcdf8bb437960c218160416cac0204

Kinda pricy but looks like good quality.