Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any thoughts on 2005 2.5i Legacy?

Hi-

I run Subies with 2.2L engines. My son is considering a 2005 with a 2.5i engine.

I know the older 2.5 had lots of head gasket trouble. Has that improved with the 2005 model year?

Any other issues we should look out for?

Any insight woill be greatly appreciated.

Thx-

kudd

it is generally accepted that issues decline the newer they get. somewhere around 2003-2004 and up is generally considered good years for EJ25's.

there's a certain element where it's hard to tell on newer cars though. issues gradually show up over time, newer stuff is simply too new and valuable to be reported and talked about as often so trends are harder to establish on newer stuff. more likely to just be paid for and done.

Thank you. Do you have any thoughts on the rest of that year..as in tranny issues or anything else worthy of note?

Thank you-

kudd

105,000 is the timing belt change interval and it's a $700 dealer price tag so that's good to be aware of. nothing model/vehicle/year specific comes to mind but familiarity with newer models decreases rapidly.

ShawnW's parents purchased my 06 outback from me this spring. It had about 90k on it. Shawn went and did the 105 maintenance and when i talked to him, he said the headgaskets on it were leaking oil. He did a full hg job on it, i would talk to him. So......the 2005 and 2006 had hg issues still.....if i am correct.

1990-1994 were good years i do know that with 100% certainty, and i say anything after 1995, all the way to 2006 maybe even 2010 is probabe for a bad hg.