Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to Repair Seat Heater Driver Side: '03 Forester

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KJ_Gopher

KJ_Gopher

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Eagan, MN

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

My seat heater is no longer working on the driver side but is fine on the passenger side. What do I need to do to figure out what is not working and is it possible to buy the correct part and fix it myself?

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,058 posts
  • WV

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

common failure, heated seats don't typically last long. replacement is possible but rather complicated too. i swapped the entire seat. there's some other threads about it.

the heated seats are weak. i didn't install the extra set i bought into my other car like i thought i would because the OBW that has them isn't that impressive. the car warms up so fast that by the time it warms up and i feel it through my layers of clothes the car is already blowing hot air. and even then if the rest of me is 10 degrees i could care less about a few squares inches being warm. given the difficultly in fixing i consider it novelty, but it is a nice novelty. :lol: maybe i can install two seat heaters in each seat, would that warm it up quicker? :lol:

#3 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,946 posts
  • NH

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

The seat heater grids get busted from people kneeling on the seat or people with exceptionally boney buts. If the light on the heater switch lights up on high but not on low, then at least 1 of the grids is still working (usually the one in the chair back).

You have to remove the seat from the car, then take the plastic trim off and cut all the hogrings holding the upholstry on. Replace the heater grid, then redo all the hogrings and "assembly is the reverse of removal". Aftermarket heater grids are available and cheaper that the factory ones.

Heaters are nice if you have a bad/sore back. Other than that they're pretty pointless.

#4 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,462 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

Heaters are nice if you have a bad/sore back. Other than that they're pretty pointless.

+1000

My back gets too tight to even drive in very cold weather. I HAD to add some heated seats to both my daily drivers. (89 GL wagon, 84 GL sedan)

Only rig that doesn't have them yet is my Lifted 84 Wheeler wagon and my Toyota van (of course the Van the seats are directly over the engine so they're heated that way:lol:)

#5 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:37 PM

I think heated seats in Minnesota do qualify as necessity,
It is colder than cold for 6 months of the year. temps of -20 are the norm there in Jan/Feb for weeks straight.
those of you who say they are pointless, are not from there....

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,058 posts
  • WV

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:32 AM

a few of us have FSM's and could probably send you the appropriate pages for disassembling the seats if you were interested in it. an upholstery place might do it for you if you took them the seat. they're probably more equipped and maybe cheaper than subaru. just make sure they know it has side air bags if it does.

any difference between cloth/leather i wonder? a friend of mine said his other cars (i forget which he meant - BMW maybe) warmed up much quicker? i've never used them in other cars.

those of you who say they are pointless, are not from there....

maybe. for me, the colder it is the more their inefficiencies stand out. they aren't fast enough..colder and thicker clothes won't help that. bottom line for me is the car is warm by the time they're getting you warm.

preference i guess, when i reach my limit there's need of serious attention, not just a bit of added comfort. my wife, with lesser tolerance may like the added comfort...although ironically she never uses them. i thought she'd like them more than me.

they feel good from time to time but as a cold weather combatant i haven't experienced it.

Edited by grossgary, 16 October 2010 - 01:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users