Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Impreza OBS with a 98 Legacy OBW Suspension (all of it not just the struts)

impoutback 97

Ive been wanting to lift the 97 OBS for a few months now. The opportunity presented itself and I jumped in head first. I didnt take pics until the last day of installation but it should be enough to see what needs to be done to do it yourself.:grin: If i could figure aut how to download my pics:banghead:

Edited by impoutback 97

i'd like to see those, i used to drive a 97 OBS as well. is it not letting you post because of too few post count or are they too big? they have to be resized i think or posted on another hosting site and linked to here.

are your original struts usable and for sale? a friend of mine drives my old 97 OBS and the struts are in poor shape and new is a bad option right now.

• 4 months later...

Hi there, newbie here with a 97OBS. I've been interested in doing the suspension switch myself. Been hearing mixed comments between getting forrester suspension or legacy suspension.

Was this just a direct switch of struts, springs, and mounts? Anything I should know before jumping in?

Thanks!

• 8 months later...
Hi there, newbie here with a 97OBS. I've been interested in doing the suspension switch myself. Been hearing mixed comments between getting forrester suspension or legacy suspension.

Was this just a direct switch of struts, springs, and mounts? Anything I should know before jumping in?

Thanks!

The forrester rear struts have an inch less wheel clearance than the 98+ outbacks. I took the forrester springs and swaped them into the 98 outback rear struts w/ my impreza tophats and inch thick tophat spacers allong with the 98 outback body lift, swaybars. I think I got 5"+ of lift at the wheel well in back.:clap: Room for the 27" tires im runnin.

Youll want to cut/grind the brake line bracket on the strut, just enough so you are still able to reuse the slide washer thingy. That way you wont have to bleed your brakes every time you pull your struts. Also a washer for the nut that attaches the tophat to the strut to take up the play/thud.

I also swapped over the disc brakes from all 4 corners of the 98 outback. Had to splice the but connecters for the abs and adjust the park brake mounts to prevent driveline rubbage.

• 3 weeks later...
wow that looks great!

i would love to know what the parts list is for this. after my loyale dies, i want to do an impreza wagon of that era. do the 98 outbacks have lift blocks and the such?

how are the angles on the axles??

Yes the 98 outbacks come with the body lift

I pulled all 4disc brakes as well

Along with the rims and 205/65r15's

No trimming of wheel well needed with this tore size

wow that looks great!

i would love to know what the parts list is for this. after my loyale dies, i want to do an impreza wagon of that era. do the 98 outbacks have lift blocks and the such?

how are the angles on the axles??

Yes the 98 outbacks come with the body lift

I pulled all 4disc brakes as well

Along with the rims and 205/65r15's

No trimming of wheel well needed with this tire size.

Axle angles aren't bad

I think I have a build list on the. Who's who thread