Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Plastic Surge Tank?

tforce

I made a surge tank out of ABS pipe for my EJ swap but now I'm second guessing the decision. Not sure how it will hold up against gas. Anyone tried using ABS or know if it will hold up? Any other homemade tank solutions that have worked well for anyone? Just want to make sure I'm in the clear before I waste time hooking it up and I don't have the budget to buy an aftermarket tank right now.

Tyler

There is a gas filter at napa that holds a quart that you can get that will work. Its about $100 with fittings and you'll have to mod it but it works good.

What mod does it need? I'm assuming it just needs another inlet or outlet port added.

Hi Tyler This is Jerry' date=' i got my tank off of ebay cost me about 90.00 ship from China. If you want to see how i have it mounted come and see me not that far away. Thanks Jerry[/quote']

If I can find time to get down there I'll get a hold of you. Not looking right now though. Town time is something I have very little of at the moment.

Tyler

I'm curious if you're adding this for kicks, or if you've actually had situations where you needed a surge tank. I haven't needed one yet, but I race with a full tank, and the only time it's less than 1/2 full (or 1/2 empty, depending on what type of person you are:lol:) is when I'm doing mostly highway driving.

Jacob

My Brat would die on hard corners under 1/4 tank. Depending on your driving style and if you typically run your tank half-full or half-empty it can and will suck air and kill the engine with a non-baffled tank.

GD

I thought it just happened once. Or did you get smart after that and keep more gas in there?

Jacob

I thought it just happened once. Or did you get smart after that and keep more gas in there?

Jacob

It happened twice that I remember - once on the freeway and another time pulling out from that ugly left off of 8th Ave. when you are leaving my place to get on the freeway. :rolleyes:

After that I didn't let it get much under 1/3 of a tank for fear that I would be crushed as a result of not getting out of the way of some rich guy's lifted Excursion (common in my neighborhood :mad:).

GD

I'm curious if you're adding this for kicks, or if you've actually had situations where you needed a surge tank. I haven't needed one yet, but I race with a full tank, and the only time it's less than 1/2 full (or 1/2 empty, depending on what type of person you are:lol:) is when I'm doing mostly highway driving.

Jacob

I'm adding it because I'm still working on my swap and all the reading I've done tells me it's a good idea. Plus, I've got the time so why not.

Hi Tyler This is Jerry, if you look at the wcss 12 pictures on page 5 you will see my light blue hatch it shows the engine compartment. It is the silver can with the flux cap. decal on it mounted in the spare tire area. Thanks Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I'll check it out.

Needs the copper tube in the pic and the fittings of course.

Figured. Thanks for the info. Think I'll try making a new one out of PVC for now. Much more budget friendly and I've got a spot for it already. Will upgrade to a fuel cell or filter setup down the road for sure.