Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vacuum mess removal (UPDATED)

1986 Carbed EA-82 (Hitachi)

What can I remove? (In other words, what needs to be there so the car will still run fine, and what is the unnecessary stuff?)

UPDATE: I can see the carb now!!!!!!! This has probably been one of the most effective 'upgrades' I've ever done on a soob yet. It was tempting to take the intake off to really clean up the vacuum lines, but I can do that when it's a little warmer.

I still need to redo the PVC system, kill the EGR, and get a better air cleaner, but that can also wait for another time.

disconnect EVERY line from carb EXCEPT FUEL RETRUN and SUPPLY

disconnect EVERY line from intake manifold Except brake booster, dist advance, egr system, and air controller vac canister line

remove emissions canister, egr valve, asv, pipes on heads

block off or plug as needed

you may also remove the vapor lines associated with the gas tank

any more questions, ask away

I have a write up from someone on how to do the removal and tools and parts needed.

PM me if you want the list.

And if whoever sent me that list, will speak up, I'd like to add you as the author to it, so people dont think its mine...

If it doesnt work that it

hehe

also, you can hack off the air suction valve pipes, and weld them up, along with your egr stuff. my pvc valve is plugged, and the hoses from the valve cover go to a remote filter. and you can take the intake manifold off and flip it over, to take all of the hard lines off, because you wont need any of them. lots more sanitary, than stock, cept for all my zip ties =]

post-193-13602759046_thumb.jpg

i thought the same at first. once you clamp it on, it just pops off the top. i took a file and put some grip points all around the spigot parf of the carb, so bacicaly theres a lttle trench runing around the carb, for the rubber to bite into. also, i think the spfi is different sized. the mpfi has a rubber hose that connects it to the carb, and i cut that down about a half inch so my hood would close. this is all in an ea81 hatch, so that might be why i had the hood clelarance issues. and maybe the hood holds it on kinda, but it does take alot of force to hold that thing on there. you can hear the intake from the cab real well now.

I can see the carb now!!!!!!! This has probably been one of the most effective 'upgrades' I've ever done on a soob yet. It was tempting to take the intake off to really clean up the vacuum lines, but I can do that when it's a little warmer.

I still need to redo the PVC system, kill the EGR, and get a better air cleaner, but that can also wait for another time.