Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to remove clear coat from windshield?

while painting i got a healthy dose of clear coat on my windshield. this is dual stage hardened clear coat.

anyone ever deal with this?

seems like a bunch of random ideas and folks saying "that won't work" on the internet searches.

i didn't see any mention of using stripper for this?

i find it REALLY REALLY funny that you have to be UNBELIEVABLY picky about application - mixing, tip size, matching painting systems, priming, base coat, proper sanding/wet sanding, proper timing for adhesion after 15 minutes, but not before an hour...et.al. it's like solving a differential equation to get a good paint job.

now here's the funny part - i forget to cover the top portion of my entirely unprepped windshield and it's like rock solid never gonna come off? :lol::lol::lol:

this is what i would try, and you might want to test a area out of the main vision field first, but probably some super super fine steel wool, the finest you can get, think mine is "0000" or whatever, and use some paint thinner with it to rub it off.

I used steel wool with ammonia to remove the film residue from window tint on my windshield, it had a tint strip along the top on my 94ss. I did not rub very hard cause i didnt want to risk scratches, and it did not scratch.....Also if you use paint thinner be careful cause it might be flammable with the steel wool if you rub and get it hot.

Razor blade? Typically paint will just pop right off of glass without much trouble. That's how it's done on pane-glass windows when you want to paint the frame, etc :rolleyes:.

GD

Good Idea; make sure it is new blade. I used to clean glass professionally and dull blades can & do scratch the glass. I suspect it might help to put on some kind of solvent before using the blade.

Edited by john40iowa
Add Info

Razor blade?
when searching it seemed like folks were saying razors won't work for 2 stage stuff. normal stuff out of a can yeah that's easy, i'd just let the bugs knock it off over time. :lol:

i might try it but if the razor did work that sounds tedious for an entire windshield. i was hoping for a simple solution (pun intended). :lol:

i did see mention of the 0000 steel wool when searching...one person said it worked and others say it's a no-no. might try a small area with that and stripper tomorrow and see what happens.

a "clay bar" was a common recommendation, not sure where to get or how to use.

Edited by grossgary

I moght suggest Kerosene as a lube.

Won't evaporate as quickly as most other lubes.

I know glass shops use it to keep their glass cuters in as a lube.

Then you can start a post on how to get rid of the Kerosene smell.

Really Gary, never heard of tape and newspaper?

This thread was my morning laugh!

when searching it seemed like folks were saying razors won't work for 2 stage stuff. normal stuff out of a can yeah that's easy, i'd just let the bugs knock it off over time. :lol:

i might try it but if the razor did work that sounds tedious for an entire windshield. i was hoping for a simple solution (pun intended). :lol:

i did see mention of the 0000 steel wool when searching...one person said it worked and others say it's a no-no. might try a small area with that and stripper tomorrow and see what happens.

a "clay bar" was a common recommendation, not sure where to get or how to use.

Try those on someone elses windshield frst (scrapyard?), and never ever take steel wool to glass. If they don't damage the glass then try it on your clear coat issue. I have always found the razorblade works on almost anything.

nipper

• 8 months later...

Mine either.

I had over spray on my rear glass, used vinegar/water mix and scrubbed the paint off, then used a dish cloth with dish soap to "re-clean" it and then gave it a good rinse with a power washer...

Glass was so clean... til I realized the inside was filthy, now its super clean, no scratches or anything.

Make sure to give it a good rinse as the pieces of steel wool can get left in cracks and rust, which Ive heard wont hurt the glass, itll just look s**tty

my vote goes to razor blade with some type of softening agent (thinner, kerosene, etc). and use the single edge blades in a holder - not utility knife type blades. the single edge blades are more flexible - less chance of scratching the glass. (seems to me i posted this somewhere else recently??)

yes, it can be tedious, but should give good results.

lesson learned - overspray goes where you least expect it to - right Gary??? :D

yes - as well as hair that ended up in my clear coat too. hat and shirt will be warn next time. :lol: luckily this was just my daily driver beater car and i don't care much about it. nice that it finally matches now though.

my vote goes to razor blade with some type of softening agent (thinner, kerosene, etc). and use the single edge blades in a holder - not utility knife type blades. the single edge blades are more flexible - less chance of scratching the glass. (seems to me i posted this somewhere else recently??)

yes, it can be tedious, but should give good results.

You did, on my thread, for how to remove over spray off my rear glass :) I got the over spray off mine thank god.

i knew i posted about the razor blades somewhere (memory is one of the first things to go they say..i think? LOL)

hey Gary - unless you have a fancy paint booth chances are you are gonna get something in the paint/clear...a hair is one thing - them darn flies are something else entirely! :eek: