Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK lissenup, I am ready to pronounce an assessment on the SOA

Originally posted by duane b

OFFSUBJECT: WRXSUBARU:

You sound like a canadian:D I notice you guys don't like to share the "American" label when there is a target on your back.

"Americans" are people who live in USA (can't call you USAers!)

"Canadians" are Canadians

"Mexicans" are Mexicans

NORTH Americans include all of the above.

VIN numbers starting with 1 are assembled in USA

VIN numbers starting with 2 are assembled in Canada

VIN numbers starting with 3 are assembled in Mexico

Joybell, thanks for the clarification! Actually I'm married to a canadian so whenever her friends and relatives come to town I'm always debating with them about Canada vs USA. It always starts out with "You Americans.....", whatever!

99obw said:

"I think I explained that pretty well above."

You explained the differential pressure between combustion chamber and water jacket and Phase I and Phase II 2.5L very well. However my problem seems to be between the water jacket and oil ports. Of course I have to plead ignorance if there aren't any oil ports in the heads of these 2.2L Subaru motors but I couldn't imagine they could run without them. I feel lucky that I don't have a full blown HG in the combustion chamber, yet. I've had them before and know what the symptoms are: Milkshake looking oil, fluctuating temp gauge, carbon crap in the rad/overflow, missing or loss of power. Fortunatley I don't have these symptoms, just a few flecks of oil in the radiator/overflow. I have yet to change the PCV valve which might clear up my problem but if stop leak could help I would like to know. A little oil in the combustion chamber never killed a motor but coolant getting places inside the engine other than where it's supposed to be can cause real problems. If oil is getting into the coolant then possibly coolant is getting into other places. Just my thoery. But I suppose I should stop living in denial and face the fact that I will have to spend $$$ on this car in the near future. I think the HG will eventually fail around the combustion chamber and no amount of coolant additive will stop that. Thanks for the knowledgable people on this board.

the oil pressure runs at a max of around 70 psi. Water is usually at a max of around 15 psi.

It will leak oil into the water for quite a while before it makes the nasty goo.

Nothing is going to help but changing the gaskets. The good part is nobody has told me yet that there is much tendency for cracked castings on these cars.

American I would be sitting here naked.

Frankly we live in a world economy now.

One of my friends is a retired FBI agent and gave me an FBI mug for Xmas. It says made in China.

We have had world trade for a while now and we might as well get used to it.

Originally posted by duane b

99obw said:

"I think I explained that pretty well above."

You explained the differential pressure between combustion chamber and water jacket and Phase I and Phase II 2.5L very well. However my problem seems to be between the water jacket and oil ports.

Your engine would be the same as the description of the Phase I, as something is entering the coolant.

I have heard that the 2.2 is slightly proned to plugged oil passages. Perhaps a plugged oil passage contributed to a head gasket failure near the passage.

• 1 year later...