Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Custom Urethane Tranny mounts *UPDATE*

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:10 PM

Ok - so I checked on how my mounts were holding up that I made. As shown in this post:

http://www.ultimates...4&highlight=DIY

They have melted due to the exhaust temperatures - apparently the stuff I used which was reccomended on a honda site that I found was not capable of withstanding Subaru punishment. So I've formulated a new plan of action. I talked to a local plastics supply house, and they reccomended a place online where I would be able to buy something more in-line with the requirements I have. I have selected this product:

http://www.smooth-on...ethanes.asp#780

It shouldn't melt this time at least, since one of the steps to proper cureing of the product is to heat it to 150 degrees for several hours before use. Apparently this improves it's characteristics....

For those of you who are waiting on mounts from me, there will be a slight delay while I get this new product in, and test it on my wagon. If this works out, then they also have a clear version of this product that can be tinted any color you want! Kinda cool.

I will update all my old posts with links to this one, and to reflect that the older method did not work..... pictures and a test report will be on the way as soon as I get this new stuff, and the mounts have properly cured.

GD

#2 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:35 PM

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder
since one of the steps to proper cureing of the product is to heat it to 150 degrees for several hours before use. Apparently this improves it's characteristics....

Me talking to Wife: "Hey hunny... mind if I borrow the toaster oven for a few hours? For what? Um..."

#3 DaveAP

DaveAP

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Prescott, Arizona

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:45 AM

It took Edison more one try, thanks for the effort.

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:30 AM

It took Edison more one try, thanks for the effort.

Thanks for the support! If someone doesn't start making these, we'll all end up paying the $55 each for new ones to SOA. And I would rather have urethane mounts.....

GD

#5 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:50 AM

since this new stuff you have to oven cure may i suggest
that you make a jig to center the pieces inside the mount
then burn all the left over rubber off in a nice fire so its a pure urethane mount
i would think a few small pieces of aluminum c-clamped over the open area's would work well for keeping the urethane inside the mount as it cures

oh as far as a oven goes just a thought.. go to a second hand

store or even a kmart or wahtever mark you have and purchase a cheap toaster oven
you can use it also for heating up wheel bearings so they slide over stubborn axle shafts easier ect ect

many other uses for a small oven in the garage

/end of incoherent rant

#6 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 26 February 2004 - 12:32 PM

grab a fire extinguisher too while you're there ;)

#7 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:13 PM

That's odd. The stuff I used (3m windsheild stuff) Is holding up just fine. No meltation or any other breakdown.

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:39 PM

Just out of curiosity, how long did you let them cure before installing them? Maybe I didn't let them cure long enough or something. I waited overnight, and they seemed well cured to me....

GD

#9 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:53 AM

Are you making tranny mounts only, or are you also making engine mounts?

#10 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:29 AM

I haven't made any engine mounts yet - but I certainly could. The engine mounts are almost always still good in my experience, so there hasn't been much talk of those yet. Also - urethane will increase vibration at idle more with urethane engine mounts than it does for just the small tranny mounts.....

GD

#11 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 28 February 2004 - 02:27 PM

It might, but I would tend to think the urethane too soft for bushings. They do make other types of plastics that would do the job tho. Something with the properties of nylon would work I should think. Are you talking about 4 speed bushings or 5 speed bushings?

GD

#12 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 29 February 2004 - 05:10 PM

Sorry about the delay before reply. I let them set for about 24 hours before using them much (besides moving the car out of the alley after about 8 hrs). Can't remember exactly when I did it (think it was Sept), but I triple-checked them after reading your post, and they are definitely OK. The 3M is designed for a 24 hour cure, so that could be it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users